DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

Hi Stuart, in the V4 boards , looks from the picture you shared that the old cement resistors may be too long to fit . Do you have some other type of option in mind for those who prefer to go with the wire wound option rather than the onboard type?

Hey @higopi,
see #978 where Stuart already explained:
…I’ve left 2 holes for a larger resistor to be used if needed…
Regards,
Mario

Thanks Mario. I am aware of that . It is visible on the V4 picture that was uploaded. Wondering if the existing cement resistors will fit that space .

The distance between the “holes” is 27mm - the smaller cement resistors which are 23mm long will fit.

I’ve got a couple that are 5W and 10W rated. The surface mount chips work well though - using 2512 sized units that are good for 1W each like these…

https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Chip-Resistor-Surface-Mount_Ever-Ohms-Tech-CR2512F2R2E04_C147074.html

Got it . Thanks Stuart! Cant wait for the release date !!!

1 Like

I’ve created a new forum topic for the V4 modules and that is here…

I’ve also released the introduction video and GITHUB repo is now public

2 Likes

Hello All
I have finally my provision 14 modules, however i have 2 that are showing no voltage but a temperature and coming up provisioned. Anyone has any ideas??
Thanks
Andy

I would expect that you may have a solder bridge on those 2 modules which is grounding out the voltage reading to zero.

Thanks Stuart, i am assuming it be a components associated with the Data line.

Buenos Días
ya se que tengo que postear en ingles, pero me he cambiado al proyecto v4, pues cometí el error de pedir encapsulado smd 1206 y resulta imposible hacer funcionar los módulos
Me sobran y no puedo utilizarlos
Nuevos
REG710NA-3.3 REG710 R10C sot23-6 Chipset
ATTINY85 ATTINY85-20SU
ADUM1250 SOP8
Resistencias Cementadas 10w 3R

Comunidad de Madrid

Good Morning
I already know that I have to post in English, but I have changed to the v4 project, because I made the mistake of asking for smd 1206 encapsulation and it is impossible to operate the modules
I have left over and I can not use them
REG710NA-3.3 REG710 R10C sot23-6 Chipset
ATTINY85 ATTINY85-20SU
ADUM1250 SOP8
Resistencias Cementadas 10w 3R

Probably not - if all the other modules are working the data line must be okay. If you are getting the temperature readings from the modules without voltage - the data is good.

Using a multimeter do you get a voltage on the VDIV and GROUND test pads ? This should be approx half the battery voltage.

I think I might have fried my first board trying to burn the bootloader. I had the ground on the wrong pin of the nano I am using to flash it. Anyone know a way to check the health of the ATTiny without a bootloader installed?

Whoops! I normally find the chips to be quite robust.

Can you try flashing the chip again with the correct connections? We don’t use a bootloader on these chips.

The other thing to watch is that you didn’t burn the fuses for an external oscillator/crystal. That will kill the chip until you can get a crystal connected.

1 Like

I got it to burn the fuses! I think. I didn’t have the capacitor on the nano reset pin. Apparently that’s a thing. But now I can’t compile the sketch. I get “error compiling for board.” Progress none the less. Perhaps I need to use an older version of the board manager or something.

I think I solved it. Something wrong with Windows file permissions. I reinstalled Arduino in a desktop folder and…

1 Like

Great, happy to see another board in the wild!

1 Like

If you fixed this, do you have any recommendations for others to follow or avoid ?

It seems to be a file permissions problem. I uninstalled the Windows Arduino App that Microsoft steered me to, and downloaded the zip file instead. I extracted the folder to my desktop. As luck would have it, it’s just a working executable with subfolders. No windows app installer to mess things up. From researching the issue on other forums, it might not be a problem if you are running as an admin, but sometimes it’s an antivirus problem.

1 Like

got to give programming the first module a go tomorrow

1 Like

Hello all
Wondering people setup for powering their wesmos controllers.
Looking for a way to use a single pack and its own little system.
Thanks
Andy