Diverting Solar to Charge an Electric Car

I’ve been fine tuning my solar algorithm and found some interesting things i’d like to share on this topic

the last tweak was to implement the corner case of having to choose between minimizing import or export. The latter was chosen, I prefer to use all of the sun’s direct energy and import some energy from the grid. And the final result is this:

using less than 1kWh in 8 hours during the day is pretty decent considering that the consumption comes from the house and the EV.

1 Like

I had to add a calibration multiplier because even though the adjustment was almost self calibrating it both lagged (a bit like you say) and also in some edge cases would bounce around the target PWM but never converge.This will account for the difference between the CT readings on the emonTX and the car’s idea of the current (at whatever voltage it is seeing).

I apply this at the very last step before outputting the PWM value so that any other “fiddles” I do, like winter/summer allowances etc., do not affect this roughly constant number.

I created a set of node-red buttons that increased or decreased the calibration by 0.01% and then, while charging, moved it around until the whole thing just “clicked” into sync - in my case about a 0.96 (96%) multiplier.

1 Like

Hey Glyn

Awsome node red sketch, I’ve been playing with it and have got it working with my Enphase PV Envoy.
The Envoy provides a json output which give all the data that an emon would provide.

It needed a few tweaks but as I don’t have a OpenESEV yet its all hypotetical to see if I could get the required data.

Is there a document for all the MQTT topics that are required?

Are they just
temp1
pilot
state
amp
wh
freeram

just not sure about mode (divertmode, divertmode/set) etc

Would have been charging at 11amps just before the washing machine started :).
Its very difficult testing with a wife turning appliances on and off.

Nice work!

To use OpenEVSE solar PV divert the OpenEVSE just requires an MQTT topic with solar PV generation or grid Import Export, see OpenEVSE / EmonEVSE Setup Guide - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor

arh found them in
Developers_Guides/Developers%20Guide_MQTT.pdf

thanks