Displaying in Fahrenheit?

EmonTH and EmonBase
For the life of me, I just can’t figure this out.
Temperatures are in Celsius.

Things I’ve tried so far:

1. Edited my user account and set my correct region and timezone.
  2. Checked every menu
  3. Ran through the entire installation guide
  4. Reviewed every setting for every node in every menu.

The only thing that I can find that seems to be related is this section in the EmonHub Config Editor:

[[23]]
nodename = emonth5
[[[rx]]]
names = temperature, external temperature, humidity, battery, pulsecount
datacodes = h,h,h,h,L
scales = 0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,1
units = C,C,%,V,p

Somehow, I have my fingers crossed that changing those “C” to an “F” will make everything better, but I couldn’t find any documentation.

I did find one post from a guy who said he found it “In the menu” and I’ve checked every menu.

The only thing I haven’t done yet is set up a dashboard and I’ve tried adding some objects and didn’t see any options for setting the units.

Is it not possible to show Fahrenheit on the “Feeds” and “Vis” tabs?

Am I missing something obvious?

You can create a feed that takes your C and converts to F (feed x 1.8 + 32), or you can convert by reprogramming your emonTH (which is how I did it) but by default they spit out C.

Thank you for the quick reply and the solution!

For everybody else that wants to do this:

Nodes Menu →
Your EmonTH node →
Click the configure to the right of the temperature →
Add calibration “x” value of “1.8” →
Add calibration “+” value of “32” →
Make sure the “x” calibration is above the “+”
Make sure both calibrations are above the “Log to feed”

Hello gents.

Just got my Emonpi up and running today and I’m running into this same issue. I followed the above instructions to calibrate the feed (input x 1.8 + 32) and the logging calibration is working fine. The Emonpi LCD itself, however, is still displaying temperature in Celsius. Call me nit-picky, but I like being organized :slight_smile:

Is there a way to change the LCD display to Fahrenheit? Perhaps Emonhub config editor? Many thanks in advance for humoring an incurable Yankee!

-Andrew

1 Like

Not easily!

The LCD code listens to the same MQTT published by emonhub that emoncms see’s for node5 (emonpi), so ideally the best place to change the Celsius value to Fahrenheit would be at source in the emonpi firmware so that all endpoints get Fahrenheit, but that would still leave the LCD displaying a “C” unit after the Fahrenheit value so the LCD script would also need editing for a “F” unit.

Neither of these are user editable settings, both would currently require an edit to the code that would then either block future updates to that “emonpi/lcd/emonPiLCD.py” file or the firmware would be overwritten at the next update.

If you must proceed, it would possibly be slightly better to make changes to just the LCD code, to both the unit and the value and then “git stash” those changes prior to any future updates to that file, we can give you guidance on how to do it and how to update, but IMO it is not worth doing unless you consistently use the LCD display which I doubt as it is not configured to be permanently lit or display the temperature page permanently or on an auto-rotation.

Although I do not use Fahrenheit myself, I do think it could perhaps be a configurable option if there are a significant number of users that prefer Fahrenheit.

2 Likes