Discourse Limits new users

I received a message saying that new user restrictions have been lifted but when I try reply to a topic I get this a message saying that as a new user I have reached my reply quota for the day???

You are now a Basic User, which is one level up from New User. I don’t know what restrictions still apply to you - and anyway they are configurable by the Admins (not Moderators like me).
In time they system will automatically promote you.

Sorry I have to make a new post. I cannot reply because I am a new user and have used up my reply quota. The bot sent me the message below which says that these limitations have been lifted??

This badge is granted when you reach trust level 1. Thanks for sticking around and reading a few topics to learn what our community is about. New user restrictions have been lifted; you’ve been granted all essential community abilities, such as personal messaging, flagging, wiki editing, and the ability to post multiple images and links.

@Gwil or @TrystanLea
Can one of you explain the limitations please?

[I’ve moved @emonsouth up yet another level.]

Discourse (the software that this forum runs) currently has a ‘max replies in first day’ limit of 20 replies.

There is also a limit on how many consecutive replies a new user can make without another user replying, which is currently set to 3 replies.

1 Like

Is there anything that can be done to bump that (like we do trust levels) or is it fixed?

I wonder if the message sent out could be amended to be a little more friendly and say why and ‘Please come back tomorrow’?

1 Like

It can all be changed. The limit is intended to stop spammers in their tracks, so it is probably best to have one - but we could bump it up a few notches.

I’ve found one of the messages:

### You have reached the reply limit for this topic

We’re sorry, but new users are temporarily limited to %{newuser_max_replies_per_topic} replies in the same topic.

Instead of adding another reply, please consider editing your previous replies, or visiting other topics.

No, I think the settings are fine and probably well tuned defaults, just wondering if as Mods, it that is one that can be overridden.

I’d add to the message when the restriction is lifted (e.g. in 24hrs) - as it stands there is a ‘well when can I post’ thought. :slight_smile:

Also an explanation of why - perhaps; “As a new user we limit your ability to post to deter spammers. We are sorry for the inconvenience, please come back tomorrow.”

1 Like

My problem is I know there are limits - I know they’re configurable so therefore I know there’s no point in searching the Discourse help/forum because anything I read there won’t necessarily apply. Can the setting page be made available read-only to us moderators, for example?

I can’t see an option for this.

I found the other automated message, I think it is fairly well phrased:

We appreciate your enthusiasm, keep it up! That said, for the safety of our community, you’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait %{time_left} and you’ll be able to create more replies.

1 Like