DIN Rail Enclosure for Rasppberry Pi

Just seen that Rapid electronics have launched a DIN rail enclosure for Raspberry Pi, could be a useful option for emonBase’s used in industrial applications:

If there is a demand we could look at stocking as an enclosure option for emonBase in the shop.

2 Likes

Count me in on a good DIN-rail solution for OEM.

I came to understand that in the UK it is only used in industrial installations. But the DIN rail has been the standard in consumer distribution boards in 230V Europe for some decades.

Would this particular enclosure also happen to work with the emonPi and it’s display?

The emonBase (RasPi + RFM69Pi) will fit in this case but the emonPi + LCD will not fit. It might be possible to adapt the community contributed 3D printed case for the emonTx V3 EmonTX v3 - DIN Rail mount by dgomes - Thingiverse.

Maybe dgomes the guy who designed the emonTx DIN rail case would be happy to help adapt for the emonPi.

Good news! Thanks to lincolnbinns I have a DIN rail mount option for the emonPi :slight_smile:

We’re just working out the pricing but I don’t expect it will be too much. Are you still interested? Do you have an emonPi already?

Update: now available in the shop emonPi enclosure DIN rail mount.

https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/din-rail-mount-for-emonpi-enclosure

Today seems to be a day of “stupid questions”… But how do you attach this to the emonPi encosure? The bottom seems to be a solid piece of metal with no holes for the two screws… Or you supply a different piece of metal for the bottom of the case to be replaced?

Or does it “slide” into the existing grooves somehow?

It’s not very clear from the rendering with the case being black…

Got a photo of one attached? :slight_smile:

Trying to work out how to mount mine in my network cabinet at the back, and a 1U 19" DIN rail on the back, and a DIN mount rail for the emonPi seems a good way forward

That looks to me as if you need to take the case apart (or at least take one end off, then slide the base plate out), drill it, bolt it on, then re-assemble the case.

Indeed… But they do sell the emonPi with the DIN mount by default on like emonPi Energy Monitor - Shop | OpenEnergyMonitor

So I was wondering if there might be a “better”/easier way

Look at RS Components. There’s a picture of a similar fixing here:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-supply-accessories/9026837/ at £3.87
I’m not sure whether the ali plate that you’d need to fix to is thick enough to be drilled and tapped - it might well be at 2 mm - but if you think you need bolts, there’s loads of room inside for nuts if you do.

As per what Glyn said above, they’re made by Lincoln Binns (along with the enclosures too, I think), who also list numerous similar products - https://lincolnbinns.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=din and Rapid seem to list some too

Yes, correct. The emonPi DIN rail attachment attaches using two holes in the bottom plate.

So if you buy the bracket, you’ve got to drill them yourself? It seems odd not to mention this in the description…

Is this also the case if you buy them as part of the “kit”? Again, not documented. It seems a bit odd to have this turn up and then be like “surprise, you’ve gotta drill metal!”, unless there’s a different metal plate you supply in that case?

Also, why is there such a markup on them? Even buying a 1 off from Lincoln Binns directly, with tax and postage is £11.50; one shipped from yourselves is £24.90, so it’s over twice the price. That’s a lot extra for no added value

I could understand a higher cost if for example, a pre-drilled replacement metal plate was included etc…

No, the bracket kit includes a plate with the holes pre-drilled. The cost of the DIN rail kit includes fabricating a bottom plate with pre-drilled holes. Your welcome to purchase directly from Lincoln Binns if you’re happy to drill the holes yourself.

If the DIN rail attachment is chosen as an option when the emonPi is purchased, the DIN rail is ready attached before shipping.

Ok, that makes more sense, but the post you replied to didn’t say this! It looks like you were saying that you indeed had to drill it yourself, as Robert had suggested :slight_smile:

The picture is the same one as the Lincoln Binns website, and doesn’t show an extra plate, nor does the description on the page suggest otherwise. Might be worth some clarification on the page.

With being stuck at home due to COVID-19, I definitely don’t have access to like a bench drill or similar, and no obvious idea when I might be able to get somewhere with one (and/or have someone do it for me at said location). So having one made earlier does make things easier!

Good idea, I’ll add a note to the shop page. Thanks :+1:

C’mon, you don’t need a bench drill to go through 2 mm of aluminium. :open_mouth:

You don’t even need a power tool - a hand drill will do the job.

1 Like

You probably shouldn’t assume peoples physical abilities/capabilities, access to equipment etc. (Note, no, I’m not disabled)

I mean, I don’t have a bench to drill on (and I’m obviously not going to use the kitchen table), or anything I could put under it to drill on (no scraps of wood/similar), and don’t have any clamps or anything to hold it in place. I’m not sure I fancy using a hand drill while using the other hand to hold the metal in place; one slip and that’s a trip to A&E I don’t want.

Then obviously making sure the holes end up in the right place/aligned ;). I can’t say I’ve ever needed to drill metal before (wood, mortar etc, fine I have)

Not hard. If you want to save the cash and do the drilling yourself all you have to do is buy the right sized drill (if you don’t have one already), mark the position of the holes. Use a punch to make a small dint where the hole will go, position the drill tip in the dint and hey presto. The dint makes sure you don’t slip, we wouldn’t want anyone in A&E you don’t know what you might catch.

1 Like

If a punch is not available, and the material is relatively soft, a nail will do the job.