Controller Current Shunt AddOn

hello, i need this… Is exist release software for ESP32 controller with current addon ina229?
With this addon is GND controller connected to - battery. Working this correct with Victron cerbo GX?

I’ve just flashed the latest ESP32 controller software, and it is able to detect the INA229, and at is at least able to read the voltage of the battery, though I am still having trouble getting the power/current from it.

Correct, the controller ground must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery if you are using the internal current monitor board add-on.

No idea if it will work with the Victron product you described, perhaps someone else can chime in?

Thanks @stuart for making it possible for me to upgrade my (seemingly rare!) V4.3 controller board to include the current shunt, now I just need to get it working! Could you possibly help me troubleshoot? It can detect the voltage, like I said, but not the current.

I used this: 1PC 200A 75mV DC Current Divider Shunt Resistor FL-2 For Amp Panel Meter B-b | eBay current shunt, 200A and 75mV. Configured as such in the BMS controller app. The app consistently gives me -0.00A and around 0.15-0.2W, with lower power readings as the load increases.

I’ve got a 16 cell 50 Ah LiFePO4 battery, connected to a motor rated up to 6kW.

Ok, internally, the INA229 uses a 50mV scale - so you won’t be able to measure the full 200amp range - but thats normally acceptable as the shunt should be oversized for the application anyway.

Just checking the wiring:

1. Negative of the controller (marked GND) is connected to the negative of the battery
  2. “VOLT BATT+” is connected to the positive of the battery (ideally through a small fuse)
  3. “SHUNT LOAD” is connected to one of the screw terminals on the shunt
  4. “SHUNT BATT” is connected to the other screw terminal on the shunt.

The shunt should also be placed in the POSITIVE line from the battery to the load/charger - normally after the battery fuse.

You should see a negative current reading when power is being taken out of the battery, and positive when charging.

Yeah, I definitely won’t be using the full range. I mostly expect to be working under 100A.

There’s a possibility that I didn’t solder the chip correctly, and now that I think of it, there’s also a possibility that I haven’t made good terminations on some of my cables. I’ll check all of that tomorrow. I should have checked before messaging, sorry about that.

Thank you very much for the solid troubleshooting tips.

If you are seeing a voltage reading, you are 99% of the way there!

Double check the soldering on the INA chip - its tiny, so easy to bridge two pins together, which would cause a zero current reading.

Curiously, there was no short circuit (well, not one that my multimeter could measure). I added a little solder to my mechanical terminations, reflowed the relevant pins on the INA229, and after speaking the magic words it works! I was able to share the moment with my dad, which was amazing. Thank you very much Stuart. It’s so cool that your hardware is backwards and forwards compatible to such an extent.

1 Like