Contributing

Hi,

I saw the OEM stand at Fully Charged Live last weekend which led me to your website. As a big fan of open source software development and renewables, and having a mechanical engineering degree, a lifetime of dev experience from embedded comms devices (ASM, C and C++) to web apps built on Google Services (JS/HTML/CSS) I’d love to be involved!

Where to start? I’ve been reading through your docs and watching the videos. I’ve got the 2018 Leaf so EV charging could be an interesting way to go (we’ve not got a charging point installed, but I do have one on order that is cover by the grant) or replacing my existing proprietary energy monitoring with your gear (I’ve no wind or solar). And then tinkering with that.

Anyhow, look forward to exploring more.

You can read more about my experience at andrewroberts.net. This is mainly about my present web app consultancy work but I’d be more interested in getting back to firmware dev.

4 Likes

First thought would be to implement the OpenEVSE system and replace your existing proprietary monitoring system with the Open Energy Monitoring hardware, creating a forum post to thoroughly document your process and list any challenge points or bugs you find along the way. The best way to improve a system is to use it!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’m still waiting for the free charger I’m getting through the lease company. Once I’ve got the wiring in for that I’ll probably swap in an OpenEVSE system, for now I’ll probably buy myself some monitoring equipment and play with that.

Awesome! Be sure to document your build with a forum post that goes step by step how you did your install, what worked, and what didn’t. That’s a great jumping off point for improvement!