Connecting to Wifi

My network broadcasts 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The 2.4GHz is named ‘Hast Wireless’, the 5GHz is named ‘Hast Wireless 5GHz’. For reasons other than the Emonpi, I need to change the Hast Wireless 5GHz to match the 2.4GHz name. I also use an Airport Express to extend the network. The reason for having both names the same is so that my phones and other computers can move more reliably between the extender/main router and between the 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

The only issue I have is that the Emonpi will not connect to Ethernet or Wifi when I change Hast Wireless 5GHz to Hast Wireless.

Is there a procedure to perform within the Emonpi so that it connects to Wifi after the name change?

Thanks.

Do you mean changing it in your router, or changing it in emonCMS via Setup and the WiFi tab?

Hello Robert,

Yes, changing it in the router.

Thanks

Neil Hastings

You probably need to change it in emonCMS first, then change the router (otherwise, you’ll lose the connection to the emonPi as soon as you change the router).

My search skills have returned. Look here:

I have a similar setup with both 2.4 and 5 WiFi both have their own SSID if you connect to both SSID from your phone and Computer with them set to auto connect the devices will roam between the two without any intervention.

John

Having both frequencies with the same SSID can be a right PITA - as you are finding.

Sometimes it works, others not. It is a Raspbian/RaspberryOS combined with your router issue rather than and EmonPi/Emoncms issue.

I have four tp-link EAP devices spread around my house under an Omada Cloud controller, all with the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I don’t have any issues with any of my numerous Pi devices connecting over wireless, including my Emonpi.

None of my other clients have a problem either, including various Nest devices etc - usually around 35 connected at any one time across both frequencies.

As I said,

Some 2.4GHz devices just will not connect reliably to a specific brand of AP especially if the SSID is the same for both bands. I have Ubiquiti AP and one of my Android tablets simply will not hold the connection longer than a couple of minutes. Connect it to another (cheap) AP and it is fine.

:man_shrugging: