Connecting to emonTx for config access

As an amateur, can anyone point me to/advise me on the best method of connecting to the emonTx to access the config?
I have the programmer board from the shop.
I want to change the nodeID’s to connect more Tx’s to a single emonbase.
Thanks in advance.

I changed your post back to the first version you wrote as it actually explains what you’re after better than the second version.

What you’ll need to do is use the Arduino IDE to modify the sketch, (the program the emonTx runs) then reload the modified sketch with the programmer.

IDE = Integrated Development Environment. The software you use to write sketches.

1 Like

Oi! Stop changing the question while I’m trying to answer it. :grin:

How are you connecting and seeing the output?

The recommended method is to load Platformio, however that software messes with your computer, moves stuff around and I personally cannot recommend it. I still recommend you load the Arduino IDE and connect the programmer using a USB port on your computer. Then, the easy way is to edit the sketch (which you can get from GitHub) and change the NodeID there, and reload the sketch.

If you don’t want to edit and reload, you can also use the NVRAM (EEPROM) to save the changed NodeID. Have the programmer connected when you restart the emonTx (have line endings set to NL + CR, 115200 baud), and you will see the instructions. Contrary to what you see on the screen, there should be no space between the numerals and the ‘i’. (I’ve reported this as a bug.)

1 Like

Thanks both. I’m connected via Arduino IDE and was hoping I could access the config as shown in the screen cast in a previous thread i.e. ‘+++’ during post?

If you just want to change the NodeID, Frequency or Network Group: no need to modify the code just connect vial serial to the emonTx @115200 baud then enter [+++] then [ENTER] at startup. See video in post:

You just need to connect programmer to your computer and open up a serial window. You could use the serial monitor in Arduino IDE or there are many other serial terminals e.g. minicom on Linux. What OS are you running?

The programmer will need drivers installed on Windows / Mac, it works out of the box on Linux.

Thanks Glyn I managed to sort it exactly as you described a while ago. Running Windows so got programmer drivers and connected but needed to adjust the Baud rate (Doh!) to see the output (Arduino IDE). Once I could see the output I followed your video.
Thank everyone, sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees!

1 Like