Can't ssh to emonBase

I just had a brief mains failure and am checking things after they recovered. My emonBase appears to be running, but I can’t ssh to it:

$ ping emonpi
    PING emonpi.fritz.box (192.168.1.24) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from emonpi.fritz.box (192.168.1.24): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.823 ms
    $ ssh pi@emonpi
    ssh: connect to host emonpi port 22: Connection refused

It was working before the power failure. It appears to be working - the red LED flashes at ten-second intervals to indicate reception of data from my emonTxes. Any ideas on how to determine what’s gone wrong and how to fix it before I try the obvious first step of rebooting it?

Oh and its web server isn’t responding either: “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.24.”

I think that indicates the radio module and Atmel 328P (i.e. the “base” hat) are working, but not the RPi.

Re-enable SSH?

Right, but the fact it responds to pings indicates the pi is running and has network.

Well maybe, but why would it have become disabled? If I wasn’t here today to investigate, I’d like to think that my monitoring system would recover from a power failure by itself.

Since there’ve been no suggestions as to other courses of action, I’ll go ahead and reboot it and see if that fixes it. If not I’ll pull the SD card and see what I can find by examining that.

May be as a result of the power off. The fact it says refused suggests the SSHD is running.

Hard power off on SD Cards can have a bad result. I run my key Pis off a small UPS.

Hmm, I rebooted it and it now seems all hunky dory. There’s no way to find out what happened of course thanks to all the logs being in tmpfs :frowning:

If I ever find the spare time and inclination I may play with the logging again, but for the moment I’ll just live with it I think.

You are not using the EmonSD / Script build are you? If you were, I think the point of the Log2Ram system is to preserve logs over boots, but I might be wrong.

No, I never got that far, though I think you’re right about the intent. I might just find the energy to create a directory on the SD card and bind mount it to /var/log/journal