Can't connect to emoncms local

@borpin I removed the various list files and re-ran an update, which went OK.
Re-ran a whole emonpi update and went with no errors, but alas didn’t work.

Did a fresh image today onto a new 16GB card so should be good for a bit. Slightly odd that etcher went through the whole thing and at the end of validation said failed, but all is working fine. Even went into emoncms local and did an “update all” and was fine.
Put in my emoncms.org API, re-synced feeds and all is working fine again now.

Don’t want to jump off topic too much but quick question - before this problem my pi dropped off the Wi-Fi and thus online feeds stopped updating. What is the best option for setting up some kind of alert for this?
I assume the email alert feature is decrepit/retired? (New emoncms features part 2 - Email notifier - Blog | OpenEnergyMonitor)

If the Pi drops off the WiFi it can’t then tell you is isn’t on the network :frowning:

Any way for emoncms.org to alert that the API feed is static? Or any other way (IFTT etc.) that works well to alert that the feed isn’t updating?

@pearsonhenry2
Yes – “If the Pi drops off the WiFi it can’t then tell you is isn’t on the network”.

An alternative (which I use) could be to run a script (daily?) that sends you an email with the message eg: “ALL OK – I’m online”. Then if you don’t receive the daily email you know something is amiss.

It appears that you are concerned about feeds to emoncms.org not happening.
If emoncms.org is used solely for backup reasons then having a local backup would side step the loss of WiFi issue.

The local backup would be to the SDHC but it could also be copied to a USB flash drive as an added protection:

Going further (as I do) it is possible to have a second Raspberry Pi on the local network (hardwired) that receives the data from the first RPi. This adds a further level of backup protection.

Also I can envisage a script (using nmap?) running on the second RPi that periodically checks for the WiFi connected first RPi and sends an email if it’s not found on the network.

By sheer coincidence, I’ve recently posted to a thread re: sending emails:

Hope some of this may help

@johnbanks
I use emoncms.org as the main data store/feed (I manage it kind of remotely, not always present).

I know that, in theory, if the pi loses connection, when it regains internet connection it should upload the missing data, but some kind of alert that the pi has dropped off the Wi-Fi is useful to know something is up.

A local pi, hardwired, running a little script that checks for a live feed every 1h would be good. Would be great if emoncms.org could identify and alert of frozen feeds.

For now I’ve gone with using my Unifi Cloud Key email alerts. Turned on email alerts for client disconnects and setup an email filter to filter out everything except for the emonpi ones (based on mac address).

@pearsonhenry2

The system I “manage” is at my son’s place so I do so remotely.

I use:

It enables me to work with every RPi as if I was on- site.

And for Fair Use (up to 10 devices) it’s free to use.

@johnbanks thanks for the info on that, I’ll give it a go installing tomorrow, but looks ideal.