Battery pricing - trends

Hi,

A bit off topic but…

We’re about to order a 15kW battery storage system but I’m wondering if prices will drop further in 2024. There seem to be some cheap deals around at the moment. Are suppliers overstocked and dumping stock? In which case prices might remain stable, or is this just part of a trend in pricing as more suppliers enter the market, in which case prices will continue to fall, like PV panels.

Obviously where the general trend is downwards, the system we order will be cheaper but we’d be kicking ourselves if we could get the same system in a years time for half the price.

Simon

1 Like

I can’t answer the long term question of are they falling.

But definitely wait until after Feb 1st as VAT is being reduced to 0% on retrofit battery installations.

2 Likes

Interesting question. I’m investigating this as well albeit as part of a PV system install. I still feel that the ‘profit’ these companies make is excessive (always has been), but I think I just need to bite the bullet and swallow this!

My view, overall, I don’t think prices of batteries will drop that much. The basic materials remain expensive, the demand is going up and the increase in manufacturing is simply balancing that increased demand.

I do think the tech linking batteries/EV/Diverting/Power Cut support is developing rapidly though especially with GivEnergy in the mix with things like their AIO.

I could be wrong :wink:

Thanks Mick - you’ve just saved me about a grand!

We’ll wait until February - although knowing the way this government changes it’s mind…

Simon

Send donations to… :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Brian - any MCS install has excessive profits - we installed our Solar PV ourselves and will install the battery system as well. So if you can do it yourself, then you can save yourself a lot of money.

Basic materials have already dropped as more sources of lithium are found, although it takes time to get the mines into production of course.

Not sure about GivEnergy - they are another of the expensive ones - afaik, systems can’t be commisioned unless installed by one of their authorised installers, i.e. MCS and then you’re into the first point above.

Take a look at Sunsynk for example. There is a useful cost comparison on the ITS site → Understanding Economy 7 & Octopus Go – ITS Technologies. So GivEnergy is quite a bit more expensive before you factor into account the MCS installer uplift.

FYI, we have a 6.5kWs of solar PV, with an EDDI diverter. We had a CoolEnergy 9kW under the government BUS scheme, fortunately the MCS aspect as well as the ASHP cost were all covered by the £5k. Next step will be the battery system which with a capacity of 15kWhs and a 5kWh inverter should get us basically off grid in the summer. We’re on Octopus Go, so would charge the battery on the low nighttime rate in the winter months. We also use the nighttime rate for the ASHP for heating - fortunately the house is so well insulated that those 4 hours are enough for the rest of the day - we have a massive insulated slab.

Simon

1 Like

You then get into issues around export and possibly issues if you sell unless you have a friendly MCS.

How do those other systems cope when the incoming supply is interrupted.

Ours was a new build - the sparkys signed off the solar in the electrical cert for the garage - which was enough for National Grid to OK the system for attaching to the grid. And Octopus don’t demand an MCS install for you to be on their export scheme - you only get 9p though if you are on Octopus Go.

That depends - you have to have an export manager which is G100 certified to cut off the export when the grid goes down. What happens next depends on the capabilities of the inverter. Lots of them include a separate output that can be used for emergency lighting and small loads. But of course there are very few houses wired up with lighting on a separate CU to the ring mains. And there are systems which will run in island mode which is what you need if you want to have power during a power cut.

Simon

1 Like

I’m also looking at adding batteries. Aiming for a victron system using batteries from Fogstar.
Their new 15.5kwh 48v battery is £2,500
Which I think is stunning for it’s price.
Obv that’s just the battery

Hi Simon,

GivEnergy batteries can be commissioned by a non-MCS installer (at least a year ago they could). My brother-in-law installed mine for me - he just had to run through the GivEnergy installers course.

Mark

2 Likes

Has anyone seen any change in battery pricing since 1st February and the VAT cut?
ITS still seem to be showing VAT on their website.

I’m wondering if installers have passed on the VAT cut, or are have increased their margins…

Jonathan hi,

You won’t see any change on battery prices, you’ll only see a change in quotes from installers. Battery retailers still have to charge vat. Installers can apply the zero rating.

So if like us you want to self install, then you’ll have to pay the vat to the retailer.

Simon

1 Like