Battery appears not to be charging

I am not sure if this is a bug.

we have 2 inverters with batteries on a single phase. we have a target of of 50% for battery charge. once 1 reaches this level and solar production exceeds the usage it sends the excess to the grid.

House 2 is just a standalone inverter.

Total solar production is 4222w
House battery is 51% and not charging. The inverter is outputting 2966w
Office battery is 41% and charging at 909w. The inverter is outputting 0W
Total house usage is 1249w
Sending to the grid 1915w
the 1915w should be going into the batteries.

Config

[Solax-BatteryControl]
#source = “MainsMeter” # The data source for power consumption
linked-batteries = true # If set, all batteries charge/discharge at the same rate when trying to zero total power
timezone = “AEDT-10” # If set, always use this timezone for period calculations. This may be useful if your machine tracks daylight savings, but your energy provider does not

Defines the inverters that will participate

[Solax-BatteryControl.Inverter.solax1] # First inverter
phase = 1 # Which phase the inverter is connected to, as seen by the power consumption meter
single-phase-charge-limit = 0 # If the charge rate is below this, aim to zero our own phase, if it’s above, aim to zero total power
single-phase-discharge-limit = 0 # If the discharge rate is below this, aim to zero our own phase, if it’s above, aim to zero total power
max-charge = 2200 # Maximum battery charge rate in Watts
max-discharge = 2200 # Maximum battery discharge rate in Watts
grace-capacity = 50 # Percentage of total capacity at which to stop charging to reserve for absorbing power greater than inverter output
grace-power-threshold = 3500 # Ignore the grace capacity if PV power is greater than this
grace-charge-power = 2200 # The amount of power to charge the battery at when in the grace period
[Solax-BatteryControl.Inverter.solax2]
phase = 1
single-phase-charge-limit = 0
single-phase-discharge-limit = 0
max-charge = 2200
max-discharge = 2200
#[Solax-BatteryControl.Inverter.solax3]
#phase = 3
#single-phase-charge-limit = 1000
#single-phase-discharge-limit = 1000
#max-charge = 2000
#max-discharge = 2000
#grace-capacity = 0

Define the time periods

Suitable for ActewAGL Time of Use plans in Canberra, Australia

Peak times are widened in case the time on the meter drifts

#[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.MorningPeak]
#start = “6:55:00” # The start time of the period
#end = “9:05:00” # The end time of the period
#min-charge = 20 # The minimum % charge left in the batteries. The inverter will not discharge lower than this in this period
#grid-charge = false # True to charge from the grid if the charge is less than min-charge

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.DayShoulderGracePeriod] # Reserve grace capacity in this period
start = “6:55:00”
end = “13:00:00”
min-charge = 50 # Once charged, we don’t want the battery to drop below this to give us enough to get through the following peak period
grid-charge = false
grace = true
prefer-battery = true # Solar power should go to charging the battery if battery is below mininmum

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.DayShoulder] # No grace capacity, aim to have the batteries fully charged
start = “13:00:00”
end = “14:55:00”
min-charge = 80 # Once charged, we don’t want the battery to drop below this to give us enough to get through the following peak period
grid-charge = false
grace = false

Allow charging near the end of the shoulder period (if the batteries are less than 30%)

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.DayShoulderGridCharge]
start = “14:55:00”
end = “15:55:00”
min-charge = 70
grid-charge = false
grace = false

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.EveningPeak]
start = “15:55:00”
end = “19:05:00”
min-charge = 20
grid-charge = false
grace = false

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.EveningShoulder]
start = “19:05:00”
end = “01:05:00”
min-charge = 20
grid-charge = false
grace = false

[Solax-BatteryControl.Period.Offpeak]
start = “01:05:00”
end = “6:55:00”
min-charge = 20
grid-charge = true
grace = false

Here is another screenshot

I moved this to a new topic as it did not seem directly related to the solved thread it was in.

Is this a Demand Shaper issue? If so you need to be more explicit - you should be able to edit the title.

mod.

This is to do with the Solax inverter and the powershaper software.

Yes but it is a new issue so better in a new topic.

it looks like a possible bug or needs a feature adding to the code. that’s why I added it to the Solax thread. if you feel like it needs its own post that’s ok with me.

would be worth while breaking out some of the others from the same thread. should the mac address question be in there?

It’s a bit too late for that. Just generally, once marked solved, it is better to start new threads with new questions/bugs/observations or at least start a linked topic

Probably needs a better title - if you can’t edit it, tell me what it should be please.

This is intentional. The grace capacity is for the following situation:

The SK-SU5000E can take in 5kW, but only outputs 4.5kW. The rest of the energy is lost if the battery is full.

Configuring a grace capacity reserves some capacity to allow energy to be diverted to it once the grace-power-threshold is reached, thus maximising the energy recovered from the panels.

1 Like

Hi @deece
That makes more sense now, with the 4.5kwh output. so is it classing both inverters as one with a total power of 2200w and this is why it not charging the house battery?

Yesterday once the office battery reached 100% it did not add the excess to the house battery.

I will carry on looking now I have a better idea, the main reason for changing the config from last year (that worked very well) we are move electricity supplier to Octopus Agile which has a high rate from 4pm to 7pm everyday.

One more idea, is it possible to have different time/config profiles for each time period.
in the winter my idea is.
House first charge battery from solar panels. at 3pm dont charge from the grid.
Office first charge battery from solar panels, at 3pm charge from the grid if needed

Hi @deece
We now have some sun in the UK :smiley:

I have changed to config to only have 1 time period no grace. today we have had it where 1 battery is charging and the other is not, but we are exporting 2272 watts to the grid. if i watched it for a few min it would start to charge the battery for 1 second then stop

resarting the powerscraper services fixed it

@Pukka

What did you land up having your config look like?