Avoiding wireless connections - EmonTX serial RPiZero solution

I got that output through miniterm attatched via serial just as Julian has so no real need to use a programmer.

@haffle I may have missed it, but did you try a different DC PSU?

Unless he’s more at ease with the IDE than miniterm
or there is a problem with the emontx only “in-situ” eg the PSU or wiring side of things.

I had said there was no real need to do either at this stage if we can assume he’s running similar to you. Unless he happy to test “just in case”, either way he has said he has it connected via the programmer already so lats not conduse things further whilst he’s there he may as well finish. Perhaps if it’s ok on the IDE but still at fault on the Pi (with the tx-tx line disconnected) then he could try miniterm.

What I was really asking there was whether the tx-tx line was correctly disconnected for that last log you posted

We need to know in what state that log was produced, was the rx-rx still connected?

Do you have a good PSU that fit’s the Pi’s micro usb?

@Robert.Wall
A couple of weeks ago one of my four emonTx / PiZeroW combo’s stopped reporting data through to my emonPi. (The other three continue to work 100% reliably.) TBH I became totally confused (c/f overwhelmed :scream: ) with the suggested solutions … so gave up (partly because the only CT attached was to a solar inverter which is currently not working anyway).

But with new found enthusiasm I’ve tried again. I wanted to start from scratch, so re-programmed a new SD card & a new Pi Zero (this time with a pre-soldered header to try to reduce possible points of failure). That worked wells and I emonSD works. I then thought I would re-flash the V3CM on to my emonTx, but am stuck with the Arduino IDE.

With the three “panes” EmonTxV3CM, config & rfm showing, and the correct baud etc, I keep getting this error. I followed the url in the message, but can’t for the life of me work out where I have gone wrong. (I ought to add that I am using a spare iMac to do this as my main one is now running macOS 11 Big Sur, and the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART won’t run on it. But I am 99% sure I have re-created the file & folder structure as per my original install).

Any thoughts?

TIA

Sketch uses 28942 bytes (94%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 1355 bytes (66%) of dynamic memory, leaving 693 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

The current favourite problem seems to be the programmer has been plugged in upside down. If you look carefully at the front panel of the emonTx and at the programmer, “GND” is labelled on both. And when they line up, the blue LED is down.
If not that, it’s a broken wire, or the RTS line isn’t connected to the emonTx “reset”, or maybe you’ve got the wrong port (although I think you don’t get that error message then).

1 Like