ASHP Performance & Installation

Afternoon all,

This is my first post so play nice.

I am a Building Services engineer working on my MSc dissertation on retrofitting air source heat pumps in domestic properties and would like to know wheather anyone would be kind enough to share some information on their installation and ASHP performance that i can use within my report. Any information used would remain anonymous and shall primarily be used for comparison purposes against energy assessment software and benchmark information.

To date, i have conducted my research from scientific papers, field studies and industry guidance however yet to hear from a consumers perspective or view annual recorded energy data for a heat pump retrofit. My research has led to suggest that manufacturer claimed SCOP differ from actual seasonal performance factors representing a gap between predicted energy consumption and actual. We as engineers use benchmark data to estimate building energy loads which in some cases the predicted energy consumption differs considerably from the actual energy consumption found post-completion, also known as the performance gap.This can lead to oversizing plant and equipment in developments which unfortunately increases capital, running and replacement costs to building owners. Therefore i am keen to understand the actual consumption along with any challenges faced during or post completion of the retrofit including costs of the installation.

I am specifically looking into air-water heat pumps for a semi-detached/detached 3/4 bedroom properties and would be keen to understand the following:

1. Age, size and construction of existing property i.e. brick & block with cavity, timber frame, solid walls etc. Type of hydronic system i.e. surface single, double, triple convector radiators or underfloor heating and whether this was part of the installation or predated.

2. Fabric improvements compared to original construction i.e. cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, replacement of windows and doors for double or triple glazing. Capital and installation cost of improvements.

3. Estimated fabric and ventilation heat loss (based on external and internal temperature?). Predicted annual energy consumption vs actual energy consumption. Confirmation whether mains gas is still connected for cooking (assumed not however need to ask).

4. Electricity tariff and/or other renewables i.e. PV, battery storage etc.

5. Controls set-up i.e. weather compensation curves whereby targeted flow temperatures are automatically adjusted in response to changing external temperatures. Set point temperature and number of thermostats and heating zones. Frequency of ASHP cycling.

6. Installation challenges i.e. suitable location of ASHP, relocation of existing pipework for cylinder and/or routing of pipework, rewiring/new consumer unit, decommissioning, purging and disconnection of boiler and gas meter, replacement of radiators, making good (decorating etc). Capital and installation cost of heat pump and remedial works and suggested payback period.

7. Post completion or ongoing issues with the installation i.e. excessive noise, high energy consumption, low flow/return temperatures etc.

8. Justification and reasoning for installing an ASHP. What were the main barriers/uncertainties and driving factors to transition to low carbon heat. What behavioural and lifestyle changes have been made since installing a heat pump and has energy become a more critical role in your household.

If anyone is happy to share their information including costs to assist with my research please email [email protected].

thank you.

1 Like

Hello @Ollie2611 and welcome! Have you explored our heatpumpmonitor.org website, sounds like exactly what you are after? There are a number of threads on here discussing findings so far e.g:

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/introducing-heatpumpmonitor-org-a-public-dashboard-of-heat-pump-performance/21885/246

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/heat-pump-energy-output-over-a-24hour-period-as-a-function-of-different-variables/23854/42

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/tag/heatpumps

1 Like