Android App "CONNECTION ERROR"

After last update I receive connection error on my android 6

@Paul - It is fixed in the version of the app I am running, but I installed the one @JumpMaster posted the link to (I’m not part of the app beta - so I don’t know wha the beta version does).

Looks like I accidentally rolled back the fix at some point before releasing the beta. Just pushed out 1.2.2 with the previous fix included.

Play Store has just updated to v1.2.2 and yes, great, that works fine with no connection errors at all.

Thanks for sorting @Andy_Taylor & @JumpMaster excellent teamwork.

Paul

1 Like

Although I had previously seen the original red “connection error” on a regular basis and I previously reported it was increasing in frequency, but it did always work, until yesterday!

I have not tried changing anything but the app no longer “sorts itself out” and the error message has moved location to the bottom of the screen.

I went to post about this earlier and read about the updates, when I checked I was on v1.2.0 so I waited for v1.2.1 but it didn’t come, when v1.2.2 was mentioned I checked again and the update was there.

However despite the new update the app no longer functions, all I see is

I have tried 3g and wifi, both signals are strong. All the settings appear correct but I have not tried re-configuring or uninstalling/reinstalling, is there anything I’m missing?

Samsung galaxy S5 Neo, Android 5.1.1

I was an original beta tester and aside from the red connection errors when opening it has always worked fine as far as I recall.

I too was an original beta tester, and also noticed that the ‘Connection Error’ message had moved to the bottom of the screen yesterday, but tonight’s update ran without issue, and continues to do so.
I didn’t have to restore settings - it just worked!

Paul
HTC One M8, Android 6.0

Assuming you’ve checked server settings and you’ve selected the correct feeds. What version of emoncms do you run?

The other change I’ve made is the request to get the latest values for use and use_kwh (or you’re equivalent). But that shouldn’t stop the graphs updating. Example updated request for you to test replacing the last two numbers with your feed IDs.

https://emoncms.org/feed/fetch.json?ids=2,3

Message’s now appear at the bottom of the screen as it’s using a SnackBar from Google’s Design APIs. Had to add the library for the barcode scanning so thought I’d use it throughout.

1 Like

I have not changed the server settings, apikey or feeds since the app worked, is there any change I need to be aware of? I’m using “emoncms.org” the read apikey and use ssl is set. The feeds are use and use_kwh no changes made or noticed by me.

Could someone confirm if that feed api is working on emoncms.org. I’m getting a {"success":false,"message":"Feed does not exist"}response logged in or not, tried all three key options.
They do definitely exist the MyElectric app works fine from the same feeds,

I don’t use emoncms.org
…but on my server
https://digitalnut.co.uk/emoncms/feed/fetch.json?ids=13,14
returns
[“154”,“186”]
which is correct.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I knew the fetch api worked on self-hosted as it was my addition and I can still see it in the source code, however I cannot see it in the emoncmsorg feed api code

I cannot tell if it has been left out by design or by accident though, as It is included in the feed api docs on emoncms.org .

@JumpMaster it looks like the apps new api request will not currently work with emoncms.org .

This may be a good opportunity for another blatant plug for “multi-instance” :wink:

Since emoncms is more often than not, quite different to the main emoncms repo, multi-instance would allow easy testing of all development and revisions on both targets before release.

1 Like

That’s why I have a beta release :wink:

@TrystanLea
Has the fetch API been left out by design? It’s in the docs on emoncms.org

Is there anyway to force an update? My phone is getting the beta updates but my old tablet I use as an always on energy display using the app is not getting the beta updates despite being authenticated to Google play with my same Google account. My tablet is still on 1.1.1 and still getting Connection Errors.

@JumpMaster Could you post APK’s when released to a pinned topic in the the Mobile App forum category?

This would be useful when installing on a Android device without Google Play services e.g Installing for a client project that requires a standalone energy display using Android tablet. A user should not need to sign in with a Google account.

I’ll start posting them as releases to GitHub. I’ll do the latest release after lunch.

1 Like

Ah looks like I missed adding it in on emoncms.org, its now on there, I’ve also changed the implementation to check access permissions for each feed which is needed on multi-user installations. The changes for this are also now on the master branch.

It’s now been merged into stable with version bumped to v9.6

APK uploaded to Github.

Yah! Updated my home energy display tablet (old nexus 7 2012 with broken screen) to 1.2.2 has fixed the connection issue to Emoncms. I’m running the latest v9.6 Emoncms on a Raspberry Pi 3 with emonSD-03May16. Thanks a lot for posting APK.

IMHO 1.2.2 is ready for production release

1 Like

Promoted to production!

2 Likes

The updates to the “fetch” feed api at emoncms.org seem to have rectified the connection issue I was seeing, app now working again and I have not seen the initial momentary connection issue when opening, that I had prior to this either, excellent work.