Admin menu missing, new system

I received the emonpi I ordered today with the preinstalled SD card. After logging in over Ethernet I am unable to see the administration menu. After reading another thread I am able to access http://emonpi.local/emoncms/admin/view. This is a very new install. The SD card build version is emonSD-26Oct17 . I have not connected any sensors, I have only booted the system. I also ran the update from the admin page and rebooted. I have tried logging out and logging back in, but I have not seen and admin menu yet. I am running the latest version of Chrome.

Not sure if this is relevant but I see this message in the log:

018-05-24 18:55:42.111|ERROR|phpmqtt_input.php|exception 'Mosquitto\Exception' in /var/www/emoncms/scripts/phpmqtt_input.php:125
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/emoncms/scripts/phpmqtt_input.php(125): Mosquitto\Client->connect('localhost', 1883, 5)
#1 {main}
2018-05-24 18:55:42.191|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Not connected, retrying connection
2018-05-24 18:55:48.001|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Not connected, retrying connection
2018-05-24 18:55:48.003|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Connecting to MQTT server: Connection Accepted.: code: 0
2018-05-24 18:55:57.240|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Not connected, retrying connection
2018-05-24 18:55:57.260|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Connecting to MQTT server: Connection Accepted.: code: 0

I don’t think the MQTT messages are related to the admin menu. There are a number of threads on this. Current thinking is that the keep alive is too short but there are a number of other issues. I’m not sure where the solution will settle but it should not impact the data collected.

I’ll leave the admin issue to someone else :smile:

Apparently I am missing a backup option in the menu as well. Is it possible that when I created the user it does not have admin privileges?

ok. I found the problem, it was me. The UI for the menu does not have scroll bars. Scrolling down shows both the admin and the backup menu.

There was some discussion about a similar problem previously and a fix was proposed and merged. @mattjgalloway , should this still be a problem or did it fix a different part of the UI?

Ironically, I just got confused by the lack of “Administration” option in the menu as well, and then realised it scrolls and I added that!

We need the scrolling, because otherwise menus can be too long and you can’t access things at the bottom. However what would be nice is if the height was somehow based on the size of the page, and make sure that it always cuts off half way through an item so that it looks like it can scroll. or maybe some fade out, or an arrow.

I don’t have time right now to implement that, but I’d be able to review anyone’s PR if they want to do it. I might be able to get to it sometime in the next month or so though if nobody does in the meantime.