Adding RFM69CW to my old Rpi

I have an emonTX v3 and my own raspberry pI and without the RF
I am measuring electrical current used for hating and cooling my house.
last year i connected the emonTX to may raspberry pi using the serial connection via the USB port.

Now I want to use the wireless RF connectivity
So I bought the RFM69CW 433Mhz to add on my RPi.

My question is, what do I do in order to switch my serial comm to RF from USB?

Do I re-write my sketch?
Do i upload a different sketch?
Do i just point my emonCMS code from the USB ports to the RF port?

I would recomend uploading the standard emonTx V3 sketch: emonTxFirmware/emonTxV3/RFM/emonTxV3.4/emonTxV3_4_DiscreteSampling at master · openenergymonitor/emonTxFirmware · GitHub

Check you have an RFM69CW and emonTx V3.4.

• if you have RFM12B you will need to change a flag near the beginning of the sketch (see comments)
  • if you have an earlier version emonTx you will need to use different firmware (see gh repo)

RFM69Pi communicates on /dev/ttyAMA0 serial port at 38400 baud

To view serial comms follow: RFM69Pi V3 - OpenEnergyMonitor Wiki

You will need emonHub to post to Emoncms: GitHub - openenergymonitor/emonhub: Python service linking and decoding input to MQTT & Emoncms

Recomend using pre build emonSD SD-card image which is fully setup, guaranteed to work and contains al local install Emoncms & nodeRED: emonSD pre built SD card Download & Change Log · openenergymonitor/emonpi Wiki · GitHub

I hate my house sometimes too. Especially when it’s too hot or too cold. :wink:

Pot … Kettle … black?

2 Likes

D’oh!

Yes, I have done all that.
When I add the RFM69CW to the GPIO, I cannot get the RPi to boot.
Maybe I inserted the module in the wrong placement of the GPIO.
I inserted the model to cover the first ten (10) pins of the GPIO (i.e., closest to the SD Card reader)
If I pull the power, and remove the RFM69CW, and reboot, I can boot with no problem.
But, if I insert the RFM69CW to the first 10 pins (nearest the SD card), then the RPi will not boot.
Any ideas?

RFM69Pi should be fitted as show in the photo:

Hmmm. That’s what I have done.

Is the GPIO serial port definitely not being used for a serial console?

It sounds very much like the GPIO serial port is not freed up for the RFM2Pi to use, the output from the RFM2Pi is going straight to the commandline and preventing a successful boot.

Can you boot the Pi with no RFM2Pi attached, ssh in (or hook up a kb+scrn) and run sudo raspi-config (if running a read-only OS then you will also need to enter rpi-rw before that).

Go through the advance menu to serial console and select “no”, as you do want to use the serial port but not as a serial console.

Then you should be able to attach the RFM2Pi and reboot ok, fingers crossed.

pb66: it worked. your suggestion about he serial console was right.
I can now boot to the prompt.

That’s the good news.
T ebad news is that /dev/ttyAMA0 has not been created.
I have /dev/tty/USB0, but not AMA0.
Hate to ask you, do you have any other thoughts?
Paul

What Model Pi is it?
What OS is it? Is it fully updated? What modifications have you made?
What USB devices do you have connected?

What is the output to command ls -la /dev/tty* ?

Or does ls -la /dev/serial* show any devices ?

If you do not have any USB devices, /dev/ttyUSB0 should not exist as it would be created when the first USB device is inserted (or is the emonTx still connected?). Likewise /dev/ttyAMA0 should be created automatically at boot.

Are you using a Ubuntu based OS? I think that uses /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 type labels for the serial ports.

Just to test if the RFM69Pi is working and give us a common starting point, could you try our latest pre-built raspberry Pi SD card image?

The RFM69Pi and AMA0 will be all setup. Just open minicom after booting. SSH user:pass is pi:emonpi2016

$ sudo service emonhub stop
$ sudo minicom -b38400 -D/dev/ttyAMA0

Does the LED in the RFM69Pi light up when the Pi is powered up? The LED on the RFM69Pi should flash when data is received via RF from an emonTx / emonTH unit.

I will do that. Thx

Yes. that worked.

Below I pasted what minimum reports from the RF and below that I pasted my firmware.
And below that I pasted what minimum gives me when I was connected to the UART/Serial ports via USB (no data - because, I don’t have any sensors plugged in).

Question: How do I get the AMA0 output to match the USB0 output?

OUTPUT FROM AMA0 via RF
Welcome to minicom 2.7

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Jan 12 2014, 05:42:53.
Port /dev/ttyAMA0, 02:00:32

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

? 18 133 104 243 253 252 18 99 254 244 198 247 189 254 107 153 61 183 250 211 231 (-85)
? 15 182 187 227 230 191 190 211 255 251 255 206 181 109 63 206 79 139 223 188 95 (-93)

And here is the firmware I have running on my emonTx v.3

/*

emonTxV3.4 Discrete Sampling

If AC-AC adapter is detected assume emonTx is also powered from adapter (jumper shorted) and take Real Power Readings and disable sleep mode to keep load on power supply constant
  If AC-AC addapter is not detected assume powering from battereis / USB 5V AC sample is not present so take Apparent Power Readings and enable sleep mode

Transmitt values via RFM69CW radio

-----------------------------------------
  Part of the openenergymonitor.org project

Authors: Glyn Hudson & Trystan Lea 
  Builds upon JCW JeeLabs RF12 library and Arduino 

Licence: GNU GPL V3

*/

/*Recommended node ID allocation
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-ID-	-Node Type- 
0	- Special allocation in JeeLib RFM12 driver - reserved for OOK use
1-4     - Control nodes 
5-10	- Energy monitoring nodes
11-14	--Un-assigned --
15-16	- Base Station & logging nodes
17-30	- Environmental sensing nodes (temperature humidity etc.)
31	- Special allocation in JeeLib RFM12 driver - Node31 can communicate with nodes on any network group
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change Log:
v2.3   16/11/15 Change to unsigned long for pulse count and make default node ID 8 to avoid emonHub node decoder conflict & fix counting pulses faster than 110ms, strobed meter LED http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/11490 
v2.2   12/11/15 Remove debug timming serial print code
v2.1   24/10/15 Improved timing so that packets are sent just under 10s, reducing resulting data gaps in feeds + default status code for no temp sensors of 3000 which reduces corrupt packets improving data reliability
V2.0   30/09/15 Update number of samples 1480 > 1662 to improve sampling accurancy: 1662 samples take 300 mS, which equates to 15 cycles @ 50 Hz or 18 cycles @ 60 Hz.
V1.9   25/08/15 Fix spurious pulse readings from RJ45 port when DS18B20 but no pulse counter is connected (enable internal pull-up)
V1.8 - 18/06/15 Increase max pulse width to 110ms
V1.7 - 12/06/15 Fix pulse count debounce issue & enable pulse count pulse temperature
V1.6 - Add support for multiple DS18B20 temperature sensors 
V1.5 - Add interrupt pulse counting - simplify serial print debug 
V1.4.1 - Remove filter settle routine as latest emonLib 19/01/15 does not require 
V1.4 - Support for RFM69CW, DIP switches and battery voltage reading on emonTx V3.4
V1.3 - fix filter settle time to eliminate large inital reading
V1.2 - fix bug which caused Vrms to be returned as zero if CT1 was not connected 
V1.1 - fix bug in startup Vrms calculation, startup Vrms startup calculation is now more accuratre
*/

#define emonTxV3                                                                          // Tell emonLib this is the emonTx V3 - don't read Vcc assume Vcc = 3.3V as is always the case on emonTx V3 eliminates bandgap error and need for calibration http://harizanov.com/2013/09/thoughts-on-avr-adc-accuracy/
#define RF69_COMPAT 1                                                              // Set to 1 if using RFM69CW or 0 is using RFM12B
#include <JeeLib.h>                                                                      
ISR(WDT_vect) { Sleepy::watchdogEvent(); }                            // Attached JeeLib sleep function to Atmega328 watchdog -enables MCU to be put into sleep mode inbetween readings to reduce power consumption 

#include "EmonLib.h"                                                                    // Include EmonLib energy monitoring library 
EnergyMonitor ct1, ct2, ct3, ct4;       

#include "OneWire.h"                                               
#include <DallasTemperature.h>                                       

const byte version = 232;         // firmware version divided by 10 e,g 16 = V1.6

//----------------------------emonTx V3 Settings---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
const byte Vrms=                  230;                               // Vrms for apparent power readings (when no AC-AC voltage sample is present)
const byte TIME_BETWEEN_READINGS = 10;            //Time between readings   

//http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/buildingblocks/calibration

const float Ical1=                90.9;                                 // (2000 turns / 22 Ohm burden) = 90.9
const float Ical2=                90.9;                                 // (2000 turns / 22 Ohm burden) = 90.9
const float Ical3=                90.9;                                 // (2000 turns / 22 Ohm burden) = 90.9
const float Ical4=                16.67;                               // (2000 turns / 120 Ohm burden) = 16.67

float Vcal=                       268.97;                             // (230V x 13) / (9V x 1.2) = 276.9 Calibration for UK AC-AC adapter 77DB-06-09 
//float Vcal=276.9;
//const float Vcal=               260;                             //  Calibration for EU AC-AC adapter 77DE-06-09 
const float Vcal_USA=             130.0;                             //Calibration for US AC-AC adapter 77DA-10-09
boolean USA=FALSE; 

const float phase_shift=          1.7;
const int no_of_samples=          1662; 
const int no_of_half_wavelengths= 30;
const int timeout=                2000;                               //emonLib timeout 
const int ACAC_DETECTION_LEVEL=   3000;
const byte min_pulsewidth= 110;                                // minimum width of interrupt pulse (default pulse output meters = 100ms)
const int TEMPERATURE_PRECISION=  11;                          //9 (93.8ms),10 (187.5ms) ,11 (375ms) or 12 (750ms) bits equal to resplution of 0.5C, 0.25C, 0.125C and 0.0625C
const byte MaxOnewire=             6;                            
#define ASYNC_DELAY 375                                          // DS18B20 conversion delay - 9bit requres 95ms, 10bit 187ms, 11bit 375ms and 12bit resolution takes 750ms
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//----------------------------emonTx V3 hard-wired connections--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
const byte LEDpin=                 6;                              // emonTx V3 LED
const byte DS18B20_PWR=            19;                             // DS18B20 Power
const byte DIP_switch1=            8;                              // Voltage selection 230 / 110 V AC (default switch off 230V)  - switch off D8 is HIGH from internal pullup
const byte DIP_switch2=            9;                              // RF node ID (default no chance in node ID, switch on for nodeID -1) switch off D9 is HIGH from internal pullup
const byte battery_voltage_pin=    7;                              // Battery Voltage sample from 3 x AA
const byte pulse_countINT=         1;                              // INT 1 / Dig 3 Terminal Block / RJ45 Pulse counting pin(emonTx V3.4) - (INT0 / Dig2 emonTx V3.2)
const byte pulse_count_pin=        3;                              // INT 1 / Dig 3 Terminal Block / RJ45 Pulse counting pin(emonTx V3.4) - (INT0 / Dig2 emonTx V3.2)
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS               5                               // DS18B20 Data                     

//Setup DS128B20
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS);
DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire);
byte allAddress [MaxOnewire][8];  // 8 bytes per address
byte numSensors;

//-----------------------RFM12B / RFM69CW SETTINGS----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define RF_freq RF12_433MHZ                                              // Frequency of RF69CW module can be RF12_433MHZ, RF12_868MHZ or RF12_915MHZ. You should use the one matching the module you have.
byte nodeID = 8;                                                        // emonTx RFM12B node ID
const int networkGroup = 210;

typedef struct { 
  int power1, power2, power3, power4, Vrms, temp[MaxOnewire]; 
  unsigned long pulseCount;
} PayloadTX;     // create structure - a neat way of packaging data for RF comms

PayloadTX emontx;

//Random Variables 
//boolean settled = false;
boolean CT1, CT2, CT3, CT4, ACAC, debug, DS18B20_STATUS; 
byte CT_count=0;
volatile byte pulseCount = 0;
unsigned long pulsetime=0;                                    // Record time of interrupt pulse        
void setup()
{ 
  pinMode(LEDpin, OUTPUT); 
  pinMode(DS18B20_PWR, OUTPUT); 

pinMode(pulse_count_pin, INPUT_PULLUP);                     // Set emonTx V3.4 interrupt pulse counting pin as input (Dig 3 / INT1)
  emontx.pulseCount=0;                                        // Make sure pulse count starts at zero

digitalWrite(LEDpin,HIGH); 

Serial.begin(9600);

Serial.print("emonTx V3.4 Discrete Sampling V"); Serial.print(version*0.1);
  #if (RF69_COMPAT)
    Serial.println(" RFM69CW");
  #else
    Serial.println(" RFM12B");
  #endif
  Serial.println("OpenEnergyMonitor.org");
  Serial.println("POST.....wait 10s");

//READ DIP SWITCH POSITIONS 
  pinMode(DIP_switch1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(DIP_switch2, INPUT_PULLUP);
  if (digitalRead(DIP_switch1)==LOW) nodeID--;                            // IF DIP switch 1 is switched on then subtract 1 from nodeID
  if (digitalRead(DIP_switch2)==LOW) USA=TRUE;                            // IF DIP switch 2 is switched on then activate USA mode

if (USA==TRUE){                                                         // if USA mode is true
    Vcal=Vcal_USA;                                                        // Assume USA AC/AC adatper is being used, set calibration accordingly 
  } 

delay(10);
  rf12_initialize(nodeID, RF_freq, networkGroup);                         // initialize RFM12B/rfm69CW
  for (int i=10; i>=0; i--)                                               // Send RF test sequence (for factory testing)
  {
    emontx.power1=i; 
    rf12_sendNow(0, &emontx, sizeof emontx);
    delay(100);
  }
  rf12_sendWait(2);
  emontx.power1=0;

if (analogRead(1) > 0) {CT1 = 1; CT_count++;} else CT1=0;              // check to see if CT is connected to CT1 input, if so enable that channel
  if (analogRead(2) > 0) {CT2 = 1; CT_count++;} else CT2=0;              // check to see if CT is connected to CT2 input, if so enable that channel
  if (analogRead(3) > 0) {CT3 = 1; CT_count++;} else CT3=0;              // check to see if CT is connected to CT3 input, if so enable that channel
  if (analogRead(4) > 0) {CT4 = 1; CT_count++;} else CT4=0;              // check to see if CT is connected to CT4 input, if so enable that channel

if ( CT_count == 0) CT1=1;                                             // If no CT's are connect ed CT1-4 then by default read from CT1

// Quick check to see if there is a voltage waveform present on the ACAC Voltage input
  // Check consists of calculating the RMS from 100 samples of the voltage input.
  Sleepy::loseSomeTime(10000);            //wait for settle
  digitalWrite(LEDpin,LOW); 

// Calculate if there is an ACAC adapter on analog input 0
  //double vrms = calc_rms(0,1780) * (Vcal * (3.3/1024) );
  double vrms = calc_rms(0,1780) * 0.87;
  if (vrms>90) ACAC = 1; else ACAC=0;

if (ACAC) 
  {
    for (int i=0; i<10; i++)                                              // indicate AC has been detected by flashing LED 10 times
    { 
      digitalWrite(LEDpin, HIGH); delay(200);
      digitalWrite(LEDpin, LOW); delay(300);
    }
  }
  else 
  {
    delay(1000);
    digitalWrite(LEDpin, HIGH); delay(2000); digitalWrite(LEDpin, LOW);   // indicate DC power has been detected by turing LED on then off
  }

//################################################################################################################################
  //Setup and for presence of DS18B20
  //################################################################################################################################
  digitalWrite(DS18B20_PWR, HIGH); delay(100); 
  sensors.begin();
  sensors.setWaitForConversion(false);             // disable automatic temperature conversion to reduce time spent awake, conversion will be implemented manually in sleeping 

numSensors=(sensors.getDeviceCount());
  if (numSensors > MaxOnewire) numSensors=MaxOnewire;   //Limit number of sensors to max number of sensors 

byte j=0;                                        // search for one wire devices and
                                                   // copy to device address arrays.
  while ((j < numSensors) && (oneWire.search(allAddress[j])))  j++;

delay(500);
  digitalWrite(DS18B20_PWR, LOW);

if (numSensors==0) DS18B20_STATUS=0; 
    else DS18B20_STATUS=1;

if (Serial) debug = 1; else debug=0;          // if serial UART to USB is connected show debug O/P. If not then disable serial
  if (debug==1)
  {
    Serial.print("CT 1 Cal "); Serial.println(Ical1);
    Serial.print("CT 2 Cal "); Serial.println(Ical2);
    Serial.print("CT 3 Cal "); Serial.println(Ical3);
    Serial.print("CT 4 Cal "); Serial.println(Ical4);
    delay(1000);

Serial.print("RMS Voltage on AC-AC  is: ~");
    Serial.print(vrms,0); Serial.println("V");

if (ACAC) {
      Serial.println("AC-AC detected - Real Power measure enabled");
      Serial.println("assuming pwr from AC-AC (jumper closed)");
      if (USA==TRUE) Serial.println("USA mode active"); 
      Serial.print("Vcal: "); Serial.println(Vcal);
      Serial.print("Phase Shift: "); Serial.println(phase_shift);
    } else {
      Serial.println("AC-AC NOT detected - Apparent Pwr measure enabled");
      Serial.print("Assuming VRMS: "); Serial.print(Vrms); Serial.println("V");
      Serial.println("Assuming power from batt / 5V USB - power save enabled");
    }  

if (CT_count==0) {
      Serial.println("NO CT's detected");
    } else {
      if (CT1) Serial.println("CT 1 detected");
      if (CT2) Serial.println("CT 2 detected");
      if (CT3) Serial.println("CT 3 detected");
      if (CT4) Serial.println("CT 4 detected");
    }

if (DS18B20_STATUS==1) {
      Serial.print("Detected Temp Sensors:  "); 
      Serial.println(numSensors);
    } else { 
      Serial.println("No temperature sensor");
    }

#if (RF69_COMPAT)
       Serial.println("RFM69CW");
    #else
      Serial.println("RFM12B");
    #endif

Serial.print("Node: "); Serial.print(nodeID); 
    Serial.print(" Freq: "); 
    if (RF_freq == RF12_433MHZ) Serial.print("433Mhz");
    if (RF_freq == RF12_868MHZ) Serial.print("868Mhz");
    if (RF_freq == RF12_915MHZ) Serial.print("915Mhz"); 
    Serial.print(" Network: "); Serial.println(networkGroup);

Serial.print("NODE CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 VRMS/BATT PULSE");
    if (DS18B20_STATUS==1){Serial.print(" Temperature 1-"); Serial.print(numSensors);}
    Serial.println(" "); 
    delay(500);  

}
  else 
  { 
    Serial.end();
  }

if (CT1) ct1.current(1, Ical1);             // CT ADC channel 1, calibration.  calibration (2000 turns / 22 Ohm burden resistor = 90.909)
  if (CT2) ct2.current(2, Ical2);             // CT ADC channel 2, calibration.
  if (CT3) ct3.current(3, Ical3);             // CT ADC channel 3, calibration. 
  if (CT4) ct4.current(4, Ical4);             // CT ADC channel 4, calibration.  calibration (2000 turns / 120 Ohm burden resistor = 16.66) high accuracy @ low power -  4.5kW Max @ 240V 

if (ACAC)
  {
    if (CT1) ct1.voltage(0, Vcal, phase_shift);          // ADC pin, Calibration, phase_shift
    if (CT2) ct2.voltage(0, Vcal, phase_shift);          // ADC pin, Calibration, phase_shift
    if (CT3) ct3.voltage(0, Vcal, phase_shift);          // ADC pin, Calibration, phase_shift
    if (CT4) ct4.voltage(0, Vcal, phase_shift);          // ADC pin, Calibration, phase_shift
  }

attachInterrupt(pulse_countINT, onPulse, FALLING);     // Attach pulse counting interrupt pulse counting 

for(byte j=0;j<MaxOnewire;j++) 
      emontx.temp[j] = 3000;                             // If no temp sensors connected default to status code 3000 
                                                         // will appear as 300 once multipled by 0.1 in emonhub
} //end SETUP

void loop()
{
  unsigned long start = millis();

if (ACAC) {
    delay(200);                         //if powering from AC-AC allow time for power supply to settle    
    emontx.Vrms=0;                      //Set Vrms to zero, this will be overwirtten by CT 1-4
  }

// emontx.power1 = 1;
  // emontx.power2 = 1;
  // emontx.power3 = 1;
  // emontx.power4 = 1;

if (CT1) {
    if (ACAC) {
      ct1.calcVI(no_of_half_wavelengths,timeout); emontx.power1=ct1.realPower;
      emontx.Vrms=ct1.Vrms*100;
    } else {
      emontx.power1 = ct1.calcIrms(no_of_samples)*Vrms;                               // Calculate Apparent Power 1  1480 is  number of sample
    }
  }

if (CT2) {
    if (ACAC) {
      ct2.calcVI(no_of_half_wavelengths,timeout); emontx.power2=ct2.realPower;
      emontx.Vrms=ct2.Vrms*100;
    } else {
      emontx.power2 = ct2.calcIrms(no_of_samples)*Vrms;                               // Calculate Apparent Power 1  1480 is  number of samples
    }
  }

if (CT3) {
    if (ACAC) {
      ct3.calcVI(no_of_half_wavelengths,timeout); emontx.power3=ct3.realPower;
      emontx.Vrms=ct3.Vrms*100;
    } else {
      emontx.power3 = ct3.calcIrms(no_of_samples)*Vrms;                               // Calculate Apparent Power 1  1480 is  number of samples
    }
  }

if (CT4) {
    if (ACAC) {
      ct4.calcVI(no_of_half_wavelengths,timeout); emontx.power4=ct4.realPower;
      emontx.Vrms=ct4.Vrms*100;
    } else {
      emontx.power4 = ct4.calcIrms(no_of_samples)*Vrms;                               // Calculate Apparent Power 1  1480 is  number of samples
    }
  }

if (!ACAC){                                                                         // read battery voltage if powered by DC
    int battery_voltage=analogRead(battery_voltage_pin) * 0.681322727;                // 6.6V battery = 3.3V input = 1024 ADC
    emontx.Vrms= battery_voltage;
  }

if (DS18B20_STATUS==1) 
  {
    digitalWrite(DS18B20_PWR, HIGH); 
    Sleepy::loseSomeTime(50); 
    for(int j=0;j<numSensors;j++) 
      sensors.setResolution(allAddress[j], TEMPERATURE_PRECISION);                    // and set the a to d conversion resolution of each.
    sensors.requestTemperatures();
    Sleepy::loseSomeTime(ASYNC_DELAY);                                                // Must wait for conversion, since we use ASYNC mode 
    for(byte j=0;j<numSensors;j++) 
      emontx.temp[j]=get_temperature(j); 
    digitalWrite(DS18B20_PWR, LOW);
  }

if (pulseCount)                                                                     // if the ISR has counted some pulses, update the total count
  {
    cli();                                                                            // Disable interrupt just in case pulse comes in while we are updating the count
    emontx.pulseCount += pulseCount;
    pulseCount = 0;
    sei();                                                                            // Re-enable interrupts
  }

if (debug==1) {
    Serial.print(nodeID); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(-1*emontx.power1); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(emontx.power2); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(emontx.power3); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(emontx.power4); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(emontx.Vrms); Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(emontx.pulseCount); Serial.print(" ");
    if (DS18B20_STATUS==1){
      for(byte j=0;j<numSensors;j++){
        Serial.print(emontx.temp[j]);
       Serial.print(" ");
      } 
    }
    Serial.println("");
    delay(50);
  } 

if (ACAC) {digitalWrite(LEDpin, HIGH); delay(200); digitalWrite(LEDpin, LOW);}    // flash LED if powered by AC

send_rf_data();                                                           // *SEND RF DATA* - see emontx_lib

unsigned long runtime = millis() - start;
  unsigned long sleeptime = (TIME_BETWEEN_READINGS*1000) - runtime - 100;

if (ACAC) {                                                               // If powered by AC-AC adaper (mains power) then delay instead of sleep
    delay(sleeptime);
  } else {                                                                  // if powered by battery then sleep rather than dealy and disable LED to lower energy consumption  
                                   // lose an additional 500ms here (measured timing)
    Sleepy::loseSomeTime(sleeptime-500);                                    // sleep or delay in seconds 
  }
}

void send_rf_data()
{
  rf12_sleep(RF12_WAKEUP);                                   
  rf12_sendNow(0, &emontx, sizeof emontx);                           //send temperature data via RFM12B using new rf12_sendNow wrapper
  rf12_sendWait(2);
  if (!ACAC) rf12_sleep(RF12_SLEEP);                             //if powred by battery then put the RF module into sleep inbetween readings 
}

double calc_rms(int pin, int samples)
{
  unsigned long sum = 0;
  for (int i=0; i<samples; i++) // 178 samples takes about 20ms
  {
    int raw = (analogRead(0)-512);
    sum += (unsigned long)raw * raw;
  }
  double rms = sqrt((double)sum / samples);
  return rms;
}

// The interrupt routine - runs each time a falling edge of a pulse is detected
void onPulse()                  
{  
  if ( (millis() - pulsetime) > min_pulsewidth) {
    pulseCount++;					//calculate wh elapsed from time between pulses
  }
  pulsetime=millis(); 	
}

int get_temperature(byte sensor)                
{
  float temp=(sensors.getTempC(allAddress[sensor]));
  if ((temp<125.0) && (temp>-55.0)) return(temp*10);            //if reading is within range for the sensor convert float to int ready to send via RF
}

OUTPUT FROM USB) Running the above firmware

Welcome to minicom 2.7

OPTIONS: I18n 
Compiled on Jan 12 2014, 05:42:53.
Port /dev/ttyUSB0

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

emonTx V3.4 Discrete Sampling V23.10 RFM69CW
OpenEnergyMonitor.org
POST.....wait 10s
CT 1 Cal 90.90
CT 2 Cal 90.90
CT 3 Cal 90.90
CT 4 Cal 16.67
RMS Voltage on AC-AC  is: ~249V
AC-AC detected - Real Power measure enabled
assuming pwr from AC-AC (jumper closed)
USA mode active
Vcal: 130.00
Phase Shift: 1.70
NO CT's detected
No temperature sensor
RFM69CW
Node: 8 Freq: 433Mhz Network: 210
CT1 CT2 CT3 CT4 VRMS/BATT PULSE 
8 33 0 0 0 12004 1 
8 23 0 0 0 12012 1

Why do you want to change the rfm2pi output?

What are you aiming to achieved specifically?

emonHub already handles the rfm2pi type boards outputs. What you should be doing is changing the emonTx sketch to transmit it’s data in the format laid down by JeeLib and then change emonHub to use a JeeInterfacer rather than the SerialInterfacer

Ah.
That is what I was hoping someone would say!
perfect.
Could you point me to an area where I could see how to change my sketch and emonhub - to work with JeeLib and Jee Interfacer?
P

Unless that sketch has been changed (and I can’t spot any significant changes), it should be transmitting the standard message by radio. The messages should be coming from Node 8.