Using wpa_supplicant.conf file on the emonSD boot partition

Just be sure to thoroughly test it. This is a quote from the link Glyn provided, about ext2fsd.

“While you can theoretically enable support for writing to Linux partitions, I haven’t tested this. I’d be worried about this option, myself—a lot can go wrong. Read-only support is fine, though, and doesn’t carry a risk of messing anything up.”

Which I would agree with, just because you CAN write to a linux file from a windows utility, it doesn’t mean the file will still be 100% intact from linux’s perspective. We would hope so though…

Yes I know it.

So the best option is to symlink to boot, thats right?

Any final recommendation?

Thanks.

Try both and go with the one that works best or you are most comfortable with. Personally I would hope using the symlink would work as I do not like using thousands of different utilities for various different jobs, I try to keep things as simple, generic and clean as possible.

It works very very well!!!

This feature must be introduced STANDARD in SD image. It is very easy to work with Raspberry PI ZERO like this.

You are the best!

Thanks!

I only have to advice one thing: If you are starting with STANDARD SD image you must to boot first to create automatically /data/wpa_supplicant.conf AFTER that you can symlink to boot/wifi.conf

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Thank you for letting us know.

Good to hear, for the benefit of anyone else looking at this thread please could you post the steps you used to make this work.

The steps are:

1- Burn a standard SD image
2- Run a standard SD image (it will create wpa_supplicant.conf file in /data folder)
3- Symplink /data/wpa_supplicant to boot/wifi.conf with the following lines (always with -rw in ssh or linux console)

sudo mv /home/pi/data/wpa_supplicant.conf /boot/wifi.conf
sudo ln -s /boot/wifi.conf /home/pi/data/wpa_supplicant.conf

4- Switch off (sudo shutdown now)
5- Save the “WIFI.CONF image” to have this to copy to other SD
6- Introduce “WIFI CONF image SD” in windows, Linux or Mac and change wifi.conf with Notepad++. Use Notepad++ to not change the format of .conf file.

network={
ssid= “networkSSID”
psk=“password”
}

7- Introduce SD in the favourite Raspberry Pi with WIFI device and … HURRAY!!!

Thanks Paul and Glyn for your amazing support.

1 Like