Using Emoncms alongside Pasivliving MMSP

Note a very important point: your Feed Interval (you choose and set it when creating the Feed, you cannot change it afterwards) must be equal to or slightly longer than the time between sets of data coming in. So if your data arrives every 2 minutes you should make your Feed Interval the same or ideally slightly longer than this, never shorter. Otherwise, you will record NULL values in the data if a value gets delayed in processing.

The default is 10 s, which would be very bad in your case.

The useful documentation for emonCMS starts here: emonCMS: Getting started emonPi/Base — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation though it might be better to start with the 3rd page Emoncms Core Concepts — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation

1 Like

Thanks Daniel and Robert. I have watched a couple of youtube videos and reread the documentation. I have managed to get the feeds done and a new heat pump app. I haven’t got an electric power input or feed yet and I wonder if that explains the error message that keeps popping up when I launch the App. Have you any thoughts?

Not seen that error, but it’s likely due to this. I explained how to add power, given this a go?

I haven’t tried to add electric power. I looked at the output of GET http://passivhub.local/v/1/hans/config

None of the addresses seemed to match yours and the scalefactor for the “transducerType”: “POWER” is 0.01. I worry that I could mess it up big time due to my inexperience.

part of it looks like this:
“pollingRegisterMap”: [
{
“transducerNo”: “1”,
“zone”: “GLOBAL”,
“role”: “HEATMETER_FLOW_TEMPERATURE”,
“transducerType”: “TEMPERATURE”,
“address”: “822”,
“count”: “2”,
“scaleFactor”: “1”
},
{
“transducerNo”: “2”,
“role”: “HEATMETER_RETURN_TEMPERATURE”,
“transducerType”: “TEMPERATURE”,
“address”: “824”,
},
{
“transducerNo”: “3”,
“role”: “HEATMETER_OVERALL”,
“transducerType”: “ENERGY”,
“address”: “202”,
},
{
“transducerNo”: “4”,
“transducerType”: “POWER”,
“address”: “802”,
“scaleFactor”: “0.01”
},
{
“transducerNo”: “5”,
“transducerType”: “FLOW”,
“address”: “812”,
“scaleFactor”: “0.1”

Thats the heatmeter section, there should be another section for the electricity meter.

Yes, of course! Sorry about that. Even so, I am reluctant to change anything in the local portal. I have added some code to my script to calculate average electric power over the previous 2 minutes and post that value. Hopefully that will get rid of the error message - so far so good. Thanks for all your help.

The last (optional) step is to add your install to HeatpumpMonitor.org,

Regarding the hans config on the passivliving hub, while I haven’t explicitly sent an invalid request to see what happens, it is unlikely that you can break anything. It obviously makes sense to keep hold of the response you got from the GET method as a backup, but I can’t see you haveing any issues. That said, if the approach you are using achieves the same outcome that makes sense too. I edited hans config as i wanted 30s

Did you get the heat pump dashboard up and running? You should also be able to use the diverter status from passivliving to highlight DHW.

Yes thanks. The App seems to be running OK. I haven’t got the daily display yet, but it is too soon for that I suppose.
My installer connected the Eastron SDM630 in such a way that it appears on PassivLiving that I am heating DHW at all times!

Oh, that’s not good. So you probably want to not use that in the heatpump app! What heatpump do you have?

Page 10 of this document details where phase 2 of the meter needs to be connected. In my case it’s UV1 on the Vaillant controller.

Hi Mike, did this all work in the end? Is you system up on heatpumpmonitor.org now?

Hi Daniel, Yes thanks. I’m the NE Derbyshire 12kW Samsung COP 3.4 https://emoncms.org/app/view?name=PTC&readkey=8162c0dddb4c4a769087922cd6753851
I haven’t sorted out the wiring error yet that would allow me to distinguish CH from DHW. The Outside temp is also not particularly accurate as Passiv Living use a weather station in Nottinghamshire for some reason. I cannot find a reliable external temperature sensor that works with Z wave - otherwise I would add it to the Passiv hub. Many thanks again for your help. I wouldn’t have managed it otherwise.

1 Like