Unable to get new emonTx working with existing emonPi

That looks better. I think it’s time to contact the shop for a replacement emonTx

I think we can be fairly confident it’s the emonTx rather than the emonPi because resetting the emonTx clears the fault, even if it is only for a couple of seconds. Not as conclusive as I would like, but I think it’s the best we’ll get without a 3rd device to test.

I would be very interested to know what the cause is if you do an autopsy @glyn.hudson

Ok… return will be on it’s way tomorrow.
I will order also another emontx more fir the rest of the home loads.
I trust this project from Kickstarter :wink:

In that case, just order a second emonTx first, do not send the other one back yet.

If the new emonTx works, go ahead and swap the faulty emonTx over.

If the new emonTx doesn’t work, then it’s the emonPi that needs sorting out, not sure of the warranty position there as it must be a couple of years old now.

Well… I already agreed with Glyn on a different solution to avoid multiple shippings.
I Hope the emonpi is not broken… It would become a little too expensive

Just to give an update in case someone runs into the same trouble.
Emontx were correctly working (sent back and tested).
It has been impossible to connect them to emonpi.
Our guess is that there’s something (radio) strongly interferring.
At home I have a few devices trasmitting.
Zwave, Zigbee, wifi, proprietary alarm on 868mhz, a few other alarms of neighbours, oregon scientific sensors.
I have selectively disabled each and everyone but no success.

if you want to persist and try to find a solution you could initially set up the emontx’s and emonPi elsewhere away from the hose to confirm all works ok and then transport back to the house. keeping all the devices together and with the help of an extension lead, move around the property to see if there are any good spots to narrow the search, it needn’t be an RF device, it could be any electrical device that’s giving off EMI.

Without reading the whole thread again, I cannot recall if serial connections were a plausible option, is it?

I switched to wifi huzzah posting to a local server
I don’t have enough time to go in deep in troubleshooting.
Your guess of an electrical device is according to me the best…
the emonpi sits in a closet surrounded by electric devices.

Anyway I am now facing some trouble logging locally and AGAIN some transmission problem between the emontx and the local emoncms …grrr

Got it posting for 15 minutes then nothing more.
rebooted it started posting again correctly

I have deleted your duplicate post, It is better to keep the emoncms discussion to the other thread. (Inputs not updating on local EmonCMS - #2 by Nicola_Reina)

This isn’t the best location for rfm or wifi devices.

alas is also the only possible

If you use a USB wifi adapter (instead of the on-board wifi if Pi 3) you can use a USB extension lead to position the WiFi dongle away from the electrics, even passing through a wall, ceiling or floor if needed.

Good idea…
After killing the wife :wink:

???

That sounds a little drastic, did you mean WiFi?

No, no.
I meant wife.
Do you think I can have an emonpi or antenna visible in the corner of the Leaving room.
You are clearly not married :wink: