Three-phase water heater & PV diverter

humm okay I think . like you – it probably be better to pulse each phase individually and take advantage of using the the lower wattage of just firing a single phase, then just fire them sequential each phase… then you increase the number of available steps - a 3000 watt pulse is 100 - 120 pulses per second so +30watt if switched together( real world probably higher then 60W)- but if fired at the lower wattage of 1000w then that drops to 10 watts accuracy and gives 300 - 360 possible combinations ( real world closer to 20 watts – as that is roughly how accurate my version of diversion is when operating at 1200watts element on my split phase in N.A )

I took a look at the documentation of the WattRouterMX… I must say, these guys have done a great job.
It seems, this device is able to consider a lot of parameters, so it’s possible to fully optimize the system.
Like taking in account low/high tariff, the amount of energy routed to the heater so if it’s not enough, I could “force” it heat during night at low tariff… and so on… That’s exactly what I want to do !
For sure, it’s possible to do that with Robin’s router… but I’d much more time to change/update/tweak the device until I get such functionality.
I’ve already other things controlled automatically in my house, for example the rolling shutter which go up/down depending of the temperature, sun light and position of the sun. But the lack of “intelligence” (for example the system does not remember if a rolling shutter went down automatically or by hand) makes the system sometimes works “crappy”.
The Sunny Home Manager has great feature like taking in account hourly weather forecast… but unfortunately, as usual, a couple of features to make the device just perfect are simply missing.

I just noticed in the additional doc of the SMA Sunny Home Manager (https://files.sma.de/dl/7680/SSH_Verbraucher_m_Relais-TI-en-11.pdf), there’s a point under “Things to know” which gives some thinking…
Here’s what’s written: “Do not switch three-phase loads using separate switching elements for each phase. Three-phase loads should not be switched using separate switching elements (e.g., radio-controlled sockets) for each phase. The radio-controlled sockets may not switch all three phases simultaneously. This may create brief windows of time in which the load only draws power from one or two phases.”
Probably, it’s not applying to heating rod… but only for motors and such devices…

Hmmmm ….

Exactly. I am a professionally qualified electrical engineer - I would not have suggested ‘single-phasing’ your heating load unless I knew it was both safe and not detrimental. On the other hand, single-phasing the motor in your heat pump will almost certainly cause damage to the motor, and the control gear for the heat pump should incorporate protection against that.

1 Like

So I think l’ll talk again with Robin how we could enhance his router so I get the “Comwatt” functionality of the WattrouterMx… The device is quite expensive for my need, I would use less than 20% of what it can.