Solar & battery monitoring

Ian,

My plan is to add another CT clamp but I haven’t got around to it yet. PowerVault have stated in an email to me that the roadmap for the portal will see better integration with Octopus Agile so the battery will charge when the tariff is low and discharge when it is high. At the moment this is all manual using the portal schedule.

On sunny days I do sometimes tweak my schedule so that the battery is in normal mode, meaning if the PV aren’t supplying enough power during peaks then the battery supplements the requirement. If the load then drops and excess power is being generated it will recharge the battery rather than export to the grid (my FIT payment is negligible for exporting).

What size battery and frame have you go for?

Paul

Hi Paul, I’ve gone for a 12.3kWh battery. I’m just waiting for the final installation cost and to agree the installation date, and need to order the CT clamp so it’s arrived in plenty of time. I am pleased to hear about the integration with Octopus, that will save me a lot of hard work!
Did you take up the EDF Grid Services offer by any chance? I have, to help offset the cost, but if it becomes a problem, then I’ll pay the difference to leave the contract.

If those c.t’s have ferrite cores (like our standard YHDC one) you must NOT clamp them to the cable. They must fit loosely so that no stress is placed on the ferrite core, because it is extremely brittle and will snap very easily, rendering it useless.