Powerwall State of Charge Interfacer stopped working - Tesla updated their software

My Powerwall arrived last week, so I am now facing this problem space… has anyone actually looked at updating emonhub to speak the new API? @bwduncan @TrystanLea could I use a lib like GitHub - jrester/tesla_powerwall: Python API for Tesla Powerwall or is emonhub supposed to avoid dependencies for $reasons…?

Hey,

Congratulations on your new arrival!

I haven’t looked at this, since I don’t have the hardware. I’d be happy to help, though.

emonhub certainly has dependencies, but the way they are managed is… less than optimal. There is no package management so you just have to try your import at runtime and log a message if it’s not available. Then add documentation so that users know to install it with pip or whatever.

Bruce

Sorry for necroposting, does johnbanks excellent script still work for uploading Tesla Powerwall data (including solar production) into emoncms?

@homeontherocks
The script is still running for me.
It stopped a while ago so I just had to restart the powerall.service

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I assume you run the script on the emonPi or emonBase unit to automatically upload to emoncms? Also, I have PV and power walls. Does your script upload powerwall battery state (charge and discharge) as well as PV production and flow from PV to battery, house, and/or grid?

Edit: Also, does your script upload to the local instance (self hosted) or the emoncms public website?

Hi John,
Sorry to be so bothersome. I’ve got the 4 data points loading to my local emonPi. Charge_percent and Power_Now are logical but I’m having trouble properly labeling and parsing Total_Export_Energy and Total_Import_Energy. The reported numbers are very large (10 and 12 million, respectively). I’m also curious about the data set. Previously, I have used pvoutput integration to get this data, and it extracts more data points (battery flow, home load, grid flow, battery state, solar generation). Is there a way to pull pull these data points with your script as well? Thanks!

@homeontherocks
In reply to yr 3 posts –

My Powerall script runs on a Raspberry Pi running emoncms software.

It does not capture PV, Grid, Pool ASHP or Electric Vehicle data. I use other methods to bring this data together in emoncms. These are unique to the site - eg: solar panels in a field 100+ metres from the house. It’s all locally hosted - do not use the emoncms website.

Pls see the comments in the script which should make things clear. You need to use the user email address for yr Tesla account and the 5 character password from the Gateway unit.

Lastly re PowerWall import & export energy - these will be a large numbers as they are Wh not kWh. Mine are well over 20 million with 3 PowerWalls.