Php-Redis 3.1.1?

Emoncms already has a php-info file built in

Ah OK. Paul does suggest creating one and following that instruction then his URL is correct. I didnā€™t know there is one already in the Emoncms folder, so in that case there is (obviously) no need to create one and then your URL is correct :smile:

This was the Stack Overflow post I read about the future of PEAR. It does seem link Composer could be taking over, however it does seem at present that Compose itself cannot install PHP PECL extensions directly.

Iā€™m happy to continue using PECL in the near future. We can re-evaluate if PEAR does eventually go EOL. As a sideline experiment would be interesting to evaluate using Composer, apparently its superior to handle auto-installing dependencies. A bit like ruby bundler.

I will take a look at updating the emonSD to use 3.1.1 from PECL.

Removing the apt-get version should be quite easy with sudo apt-get remove php5-redis.

Iā€™m not sure how to remove the V2.2.7 version that we installed by cloning the phpredis github then compiling and installing, have you got any ideas?

When I did it, it seemed that doing a purge (rather than remove) gets rid of Redis in itā€™s entirety as php-info showed no Redis installed. Just then installing via PECL seemed to work fine.

HTH

I hadnā€™t noticed, sorry for any confusion caused.

Reading up on PEAR vs Composer, I see no reason to change yet either, Composer only offers benefit in areas we donā€™t currently use and does not offer an easy route to install PHP extensions, which is the only reason we install PEAR, as a route to use PECL to install extensions.

I specifically used purge rather than remove to avoid any situation where new (v3.1.1) configuration files are not installed due to retaining old (v2.2.5) ones, we havenā€™t altered anything in the default settings so there seems no reason to retain them. I was aiming for clearing out as much as possible of the old stuff to get as near as I could to a clean install.

No, I can only suggest going through the ā€œclone,compile and installā€ again on a test image and use the installation log output (assuming there is one) to see what files were affected. One would hope the Debian install and the ā€œclone,compile and installā€ were close enough that purging the Debian package might also remove the other version but that maybe wishful thinking I have no idea.

As I mention hal-a-dozen posts back, it will not have removed Redis itself, only the PHP extension which is exactly what is needed IMO.

2 Likes

Interesting: just had a bug report mentioning that data processed by ā€œWh Accumulatorā€ is incorrect when using php-redis 3.1.1.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is is very strange, I donā€™t know enough detail about how Redis works to try and debug this. I wonder if this is a bug in 3.1.1 or an issue with the wh accumlator processor? Any ideas @TrystanLea @nchaveiro ?

I donā€™t have any WhAccumulators set up on the emoncms using v3.1.1 to confirm either way, but I have replied to the Git issue asking for more info as we donā€™t know the WhAccumulator is being used correctly and to me both the data sets quoted seem wrong.

1 Like