New Daikin Altherma 3 Installation - Monitoring

Hi Trystan, I’ve been following the recent thread to which your f-in-law provided some great analysis, and also showed data from his P1P2 interface.

I’m really interested in improving my EDLA09D3V3 performance, and this might be a short-term instrumentation solution - certainly ColinS’s data looked pretty good. There are lots of proposals on the GitHub site and I’m wondering what exact configuration/build etc. you used to install the P1P2 interface. Since it appears to work, I’m thinking the load of an MMI, a single Madoka and the P1P2 gizmo doesn’t overload the bus in this case.

Cheers thanks

@TrystanLea were you able to integrate the P1P2 into the emonhp?

Just received mine and wondered if there was a way to have it publish via MQTT to the energy monitor rather than home assistant?

Yup, providing you’re prepared to change the MQTT publish topic to something like “emon/ASHP/” and alter/reconfigure the code to send each data item as a separate message, with no JSON, just a string value like “30.2”. Then EmonCMS’s MQTT subscriber picks the values up and makes them Inputs, using the last part of the published topic e.g. “emon/ASHP/Leaving Water Temp” + “30.2” makes an input of “Leaving Water Temp” with a value of “30.2”.

Looking at the P1P2 MQTT documentation, it will send individual values, but with a very complex topic hierarchy, which would have to be simplified to work with EmonCMS as standard. Possible obviously.

1 Like

Thanks John.

I managed to configure a MQTT bridge on the emonhp to change P1P2/ to emon/ and that seems to have done the trick.

I do now have about 50 new inputs due to all the data the esp is sending but it seems to be working.

Hahaha! Good that you got it working relatively easily. That’s pretty challenging, working out what’s interesting, let alone meaningful! It might be a good way to work out why your pump does what it does, with the other MMI-type data. I only have pump data from the serial port, using ESPAltherma, and there’s loads of values in that I’m not collecting.

1 Like

Hi @John and @matt-drummer, you both sound like you know a hell of a lot more about tech and monitoring that I do, but would love some advice if you can help. I have just had installed an 8kw Daikin heat pump with Octopus. Unfortunately the radiators they installed were slightly wrong, so had been expecting some bigger rads in some rooms but hopefully this will be righted. I am now trying to figure out how to get the system as efficient as possible. I was surprised that the data accessible from the user interface and app was so basic and thought it would be better as I get a lot more info from my solis inverter app. So I would be interested to hear what you would recommend - sounds like the openenergysystem is the easiest way to go. I haven’t heard of this before? The only thing I have done so far is changed the flow mode (leaving water temp) from set point to responsive weather dependent mode, but we are just 2 days in and I thought I would leave it to it’s own devices for a bit as I should have a follow up with Octopus. Keen to hear any thoughts…

Hi Dave,

I am not so tech minded as some of the others.

You really have three choices.

Stay as you are.

Monitor with certified heat and electricity meters

Monitor by extracting data from the heat pump.

You clearly want to monitor so if you choose to monitor via the heat pump’s internal data then you need something like ESPAltherma and maybe Home Assistant or some other way of using the data, not really my thing but I think it is relatively straightforward to setup and there are plenty of people here to help you with that. It’s not necessarily accurate though but may be good enough for your requirements. It is probably the cheapest way to monitor.

Or get certified meters which is what I have. Not as cheap as the other way but not that expensive, it’s accurate and it works. You will need a plumber and electrician if you don’t have the skills yourself.

The Openenergymonitor level 3 system is superb and I wouldn’t be without it.

I guess you can work out what my choice would be.

Thanks Matthew,

I think I could fit the ESPAltherma, but the Openenergymonitor system may be the way to go and I would probably not take on myself. I had some discussions with a heatgeek assured installer as I didn’t trust the Octopus calculations and recommended rad schedule (so not surprised I have had problems with the install), so I may go back to them for the monitoring. I will just sit tight for a bit and check how the system beds in and hopefully see someone from Octopus in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

@Djwats

I had a heat geek do a full heat loss survey followed the installation of an oversized edla09 and turning the house into a sauna.

They not only made lots of good recommendations they also gave me the radiator sizes needed for a 40°c flow rate and the heat loss of every room and the house as a whole.

This allowed me to complain to the octopus that it was incorrectly sized and it is now in the middle of being fixed (pump has been changed radiators are on backorder hopefully by end of month).

If you are able to get a heat geek to install the open energy monitor kit that would give you visibility of the performance (and more grounds to complain if it does not work as per your contract) but may also be worth a heat loss survey (even though it will cost you).