New clean build in a 2016 Pi 3B unit - Services won't start (10Nov22 image)

I concur with the ‘out of date’ bit.
My MD5 checksums are zip: 271d8d502e822e3703500a5762519c1d
and 086880994862896534c4cd61a7625b1e for the extracted image (not that you need to extract it with Balena Etcher).

Brian (@borpin) pointed this out to @TrystanLea some time ago (February) https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/emonsd-download-10nov22-stable/22852-
and I forgot to follow it up.

(My download is from 12th February.)

Hi Robert,

So the MD5’s are the same since early February, that’s something.
I just had a thought it may have been the MD5 of a previous version, but I’ve just checked and rather worryingly that not the case.

Did you read what Brian wrote back in February? What I infer from that is the “old” version was replaced after only a few hours/days, and the checksum wasn’t changed.

Ah, no, I missed that.
Was it @TrystanLea who replaced it? I hope so. :fearful:

Yes this will be my fault. I missed updating the MD5’s on the last update. I will get them updated.

1 Like

After a few days of writing/re-writing drive images, it appears the solution to the original problem is don’t change the user name if you’re using the Raspberry Pi Imager.
The user name is pi and must not be changed.

That’s why Etcher works. i.e. there’s no way to change the user name when writing the
image with Etcher.

It’s OK to change the other RasPi Imager options:

• Enable SSH
  • SSH password
  • User password
  • Configure wireless LAN
  • Locale settings
2 Likes

The end install for a PiZero is different so I don’t expect there will be an Image created (confuse more than help). Pretty sure the docs do say that for a PiZero use the scripts :slight_smile: