My Octopus Agile & Go Tariff comparison / analysis website

Just added a new graph to the site on each of the 14 regional “Go versus Agile” pages.

This new one is Go versus Agile (00:30 to 04:30) for the previous year, but shows Agile as a weekly average.

For example: Octopus Go versus Agile London - Energy Stats UK

Hope this helps.

1 Like

It was clear that comparing Go (00:30 to 04:30 with Agile (00:30 to 04:30) pricing is an unfair comparison.

I think a fairer comparison is Go versus an average of the lowest 4 hours each day of Agile, so the cheapest 8 x 30 min slots each day.

Note: The 4 hours (8 x 30 mins slots) may not well not be sequential. They could be picked randomly from throughout the day.

From today, you can now see those comparisons on each of 14 regional Go versus Agile page.

For example: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile-london/

The same cheapest 4hr average stats are also available on the weekly summary graphs too that are on the same page.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Nice work @Zarch!

Fill your boots tonight… and get paid for doing it.

@Zarch, is the info you get from Octopus predictive i.e they are setting the rates for Sunday on Saturday? From the timing of your post it looks like it. How far ahead do they est rates and are they guaranteed?

Hi Brian

They release the new figures sometime after 4pm each day. These are the whole of the next full day’s figures upto 11pm, as per the above graphs I tweet out.

Once released the pricing is fixed.

Any further questions let me know.

1 Like

Agile tariff is two years old today… here’s what two years worth of minimum, average and maximum pricing looks like.

1 Like

It is interesting to see that the trend overall seems to be downward. Using @TrystanLea app, If I look at Nov - Dec last year, the average ppu to me would have been 16.9p/kWh. This year 11.8p/kWh for roughly the same period.

I don’t have any PV but in the last 8 months, the cost to me would have been less on Agile than on my (very cheap) tariff. It is a shame the Standing Charge is relatively high on Octopus.

I could also do a bit more to shift my load around and save a little more on the Agile tariff. I’m definitely considering it though.

2 Likes

My little website and twitter project has become so popular that Octopus Energy themselves got in touch to ask me all about it.

Obviously, I was more than happy to have a geeky chat with them!! :smiley:

8 Likes

Way to go, Mick!
thumbsup highfive beer_cheer

2 Likes

+1 to that.

Great work.

Thanks!

Simon

I wonder, as you seem to have an in, they might consider extending their API such that it would return a simple results of the minimal data. Something line

• Cost now
  • Cost next
  • 1Hr cheapest in next 24 (or period set by option)
  • 2Hr cheapest in next 24

basically anything a user is likely to need on a regular basis to manage their use. May even help their server load as I suspect it is starting to increase!

Hi all, new to the site and am an existing Octopus fixed tariff customer. Am considering the Agile tariff but want to make sure its best for me, although looking at the predictions on their site it could save me money… I have a small property, usually work office hours and cook with electric and have a house full of smart gadgets.

Am I right in thinking you can switch back to another tariff at any time?

You can move Octopus tariff as and when, fee free. I’ve seen of people get moved the same day as they asked. Seems pretty flexible.

Brian,

It might be worth you getting yourself on the Octopus API forum.
People are already talking about API improvements in there.

https://forum.octopus.energy/t/api-feedback-suggestions/558

Its Phil Steele (from Octopus) little forum, so imagine the right people will see the comments etc.

1 Like

I’ll need to wait until they actually get my switch sorted out!!!

1 Like

Fantastic @Zarch! :slight_smile:

This screenshot from PV Output? is intriguing:

Is the irradiation and cloud cover forecast now built into PV output?

1 Like

No, my python script does that.
Cloud Cover comes from Dark Sky.
Irridation and Sun Angle from
https://pysolar.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

I then send them to PVOutput as extended data variables.

1 Like

Fantastic, I will take a look at pysolar, it would be interesting to see the correlation between

irridation x (100 - cloud cover)  

and your solar gen feed over time, how well does it predict your solar output generally?

Perhaps (120 - cloud cover) as panels will still likely generate something during 100% cloud cover?..