MODBUS TCP/IP Python send to EmonCMS

Yep, Firefox didnt give me an issue when I used it to send data, but something about httplib in python module, doesn’t handle spaces correctly. removing them solved the sending issue, but now I got another issue traffic managing the communications.

@42 registers that would take 7 mins to cycle through, that seems like a really slow update interval.

With 275 registers available that would take over 45mins to do a full read of every register, I’m a real novice when it comes to modbus, but that doesn’t sound right to me. I can see there are warnings and alarms in the register map, I wouldn’t expect a warning or alarm to be of much use if it could take up to 45mins to report.

It’s easy enough to poll one at a time I guess, but surely that adds to the devices workload? perhaps smaller batches would work, are there no guidelines or proper practice for this in the modbus protocol?

It’s dependant on the instrument, rather than the protocol itself. e.g. all of the registers in the Elkor WattsOn can be read in less than one second at 9600 bps.

The H663 install guide specs (page 8) show the current measurement input update rate to be 1.2 seconds. (The H704 specs read the same, i.e an update rate of 1.2 seconds.)

With such a slow update rate, it doesn’t make much sense querying the instrument more often that that, does it?

Paul, I fat fingered the poll time. It’s 1 register per 1 second, sorry for the confusion.

i would assume that to be each input is updated every 1.2s, rather than each input taking 1.2s in turn therefore 42x1.2s = 50.4secs before the same input is updated again. In which case ideally, all 42 registers could/should be read every 1.2s to read every update and avoid redundant updates.

Even at 1 register per 1 second, and ignoring all the warning and alarm registers, 42 registers = 42secs to cycle back to the first register, in which time it has been updated and changed 35 times @1.2s, so only 1 in 35 results for each input is ever seen, 34 are wasted, that’s over 97% of the data posted to those 42 registers is redundant.

I’m still not convinced that’s right, but you guys have way more experience than me with this.

I suspect the devices registers should be able to be read entirely (not just the 42 values) in around 1.2s other wise it would be pointless updating that frequently.

Maybe the issue is with the pyModbusTCP lib? From what little I know, I would expect a connection to be opened and the registers read sequentially, perhaps even staying open indefinitely for the next cycle and ongoing, for a “denial of service attack” to be perceived the lib or the way it is being used must be instigating individual polls, which I wouldn’t expect to be efficient or healthy for the server or the client.

This example from the pyModbusTCP documentation examples creates a separate thread for polling Modbus and updates every 1s, granted its only 10 regs but that is still 10x faster than 1 per 1s.

Yes, my point exactly.

Perhaps not. If, for example, the registers that need to be read are non-contiguous, i.e. not in sequential order, then individual polls are the only way to read them. That’s how I have do do it with the WattsOn power transducers I have.

I learned about the WattsOn’s ability to have all of its registers (about 60 of them, if memory serves) read in under one second when I read about setting the seral interface data rate. The factory default rate is 9600 bps, but it can be changed to 57600 bps if desired. The manual recommended leaving the data rate at 9600 because all of the registers could be scanned in under one second at 9600 bps.

Looks like what’s needed is more info about the instrument, i.e. what’s the max read rate for the registers? Would running the serial interface at a higher data rate help?

From what I remember about using Modbus from many years ago, the most economical way is to read as much as possible in one block, then pick out what you need from that and ignore the remainder. That method has a much lower overhead. I think I was reading about half a dozen values (what size I can’t remember) and graphing at well under 1 s intervals, with a Compaq 386 PC at I think 9600 baud.

Here is an example script that posts values 0-9 every 5 seconds, I’ll happily help you merge the two, but I’m not sure how you want to stage the data based on the discussion above, will you want to simply forward every reg as it is read “hot potato” style or will you collate the data into batches or build up a single complete frame.

The best way IMO would to be send one complete packet.

#!/usr/bin/env python
import time
import socket

host = "localhost"
port = 50012
nodeid = 13
interval = 5    # in seconds

# Send the frame of data via a socket
def send(frame):
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    s.connect((host, port))
    frame = frame + '\r\n'
    s.send(frame)
    s.close()

# Create a "lastsent" time to count interval from
# this is done by dividing unixtime by the interval
# so the first send may be delayed by upto 1 interval.
lastsent = time.time()//interval*interval

while True:
    # Determine current interval period
    t = time.time()//interval*interval

# Check for 1 interval period since lastsent
    if t >= (lastsent + interval):

##### DATA STAGED HERE eg
        list = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

# Create a space seperated frame, timestamp nodeid val1 val2 etc
        frame = ' '.join(str(val) for val in [t, nodeid] + list)

# Update time lastsent
        lastsent = t

# Print and/or send data
        print(frame)
        send(frame)

# Don't loop too fast
    time.sleep(0.10)

At emonHub you only need one interfacer set up as follows, plus the emoncms reporter will need your apikey and url (the default RFM2Pi interfacer can be deleted)

[interfacers]

[[Veris]]
        Type = EmonHubSocketInterfacer
        [[[init_settings]]]
                port_nb = 50012
        [[[runtimesettings]]]
                timestamped = true

I’ve lifted this from one of my own scripts and I have adopted a new way of synchronizing my data packets using unixtime divided by interval, hopefully it makes sense, I’ve added comments, but you can use something more conventional if you prefer.

1 Like

That’s what I had expected.

Thx Paul,

I have stumbled upon node-red, and does seem to do what i am looking for, I am running into an issue with node-red not being able to read float values, but that’s another issue not related to emoncms,

I will keep this thread on the back burner, thx again for your replies.

Useful Discussion… Really Thanks a lot @Tridiumcontrols

Hello.
I recently got some help from a couple of people at the pymodbus google group, to make a working script in python for posting to emoncms.org. I find this thread now!
But the script I’ve had help finding and modifying is capable of taking alot of modbus writes. It puts the data in a queue, and then the queue can be read out any time. So it’s designed for high speed.

Here’s the original page for the code.
https://pymodbus.readthedocs.io/en/v1.3.2/examples/callback-server.html

Here’s my implementation. I’ve skipped queuing, but the functionality could included.

It’s set up to post using http.

server with callbacks.zip (4.5 KB)

The only thing I think is important to know when writing to this server, is that each write ‘address’ is presented as a different ‘key’ in emoncms. So write to different modbus ‘addresses’ for each different datatype; voltage, current, Wh etc… Which is the way it’s done anyway?

Cheers

1 Like