Heat pump monitor ESP8266 problem

Not sure what ESP_Async_E1.31 is doing there but eveything else looks fine.
How about flashing pre-compiled binaries?
Or do you want to change the code?

The guide does not mention pre-compiled binaries, and I can’t see any binaries in the github…

That’s definitely something that needs updating in that case.

Flashed to the device with esptool.py with command:

esptool.py --baud 460800 write_flash 0x0 ./bin1.bin 0x300000 ./bin2.bin

Archive.zip (358.9 KB)

1 Like

@glyn.hudson
flashing with pre-compiled binaries.
. How to upload pre-compiled binaries readme update by danbates2 · Pull Request #67 · openenergymonitor/EmonESP · GitHub

Dan

Are the binaries master or timer branch?
They may need explicitly identifying.

Ian`

I’ve put master in master. I haven’t checked timer as I thought the binaries were already there.

Dan, thank you VERY much, that worked (esptool.py write_flash 0x0 src.ino.bin 0x300000 src.spiffs.bin)

So, is it worth updating the guide to instruct loading these pre-built binaries?

If I understand right neither of the two options described to build the source are usable at this time - platformio per your comment above, and also this issue I just noticed on GitHub: “Compile error with Arduino IDE #66” - this is the same thing I am getting.

Noticed, thanks. I’ve updated the guide so am waiting for the PR to be accepted, just need to confirm with Glyn.
ArduinoIDE 1.8.9 I’m using on a Mac.
Added working libraries here:
. https://github.com/danbates2/EmonESP-db/tree/master/libraries

I am new to this and just this evening got my board built up.

Same problem as OP, IP address was off in some 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range

I downgraded to 2.4.2 in Board manager. Mine compiles ok.

Master downloaded from:

After uploading with 2.4.2 and connecting on 192.168.4.1. i get:

/home.html not found, have you uploaded the SPIFFS?

I have re-uploaded the SPIFFS successfully, but getting that message?

Thanks!

Message after SPIFFS upload, looks ok?

Sketch uses 427932 bytes (40%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1044464 bytes.
Global variables use 37216 bytes (45%) of dynamic memory, leaving 44704 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
[SPIFFS] data : E:\Dropbox\Eco Tech\OpenEnergyMonitor\EmonESP-db-master\src\data
[SPIFFS] size : 1004
[SPIFFS] page : 256
[SPIFFS] block : 8192
/config.js

/home.html

/lib.js

/style.css

[SPIFFS] upload : C:\Users\BAKER\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_594669/src.spiffs.bin
[SPIFFS] address : 0x300000
[SPIFFS] reset : ck
[SPIFFS] port : COM8
[SPIFFS] speed : 115200

Uploading 1028096 bytes from C:\Users\BAKER\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_594669/src.spiffs.bin to flash at 0x00300000

… [ 7% ]

… [ 15% ]

… [ 23% ]

… [ 31% ]

… [ 39% ]

… [ 47% ]

… [ 55% ]

… [ 63% ]

… [ 71% ]

… [ 79% ]

… [ 87% ]

… [ 95% ]

… [ 100% ]

If i had a clue how to use python i would try erasing with ESPTOOL… :thinking:

update…

Got python working and erased the chip!

Re-loaded Prog and Spiffs from Arduino and all working.

Thanks

1 Like

Great.

So to round up this thread:

1. There are now pre-built binaries, linked in the thread above. Use those unless you really need to build it yourself.

2. If you are building it, only the Arduino IDE method works (at time of writing)

3. When you select the ESP8266 board in the board manager, make sure you choose version 2.4.2. Otherwise it will compile but the AP won’t work properly.

4. When it fails to build because of missing libraries, only use the ones linked above by Dan, there must be a specific version of these needed too. Don’t install them directly from GitHub like I did!

5. Before loading, do the (full) flash erase step at the end of the instructions.

Easy when you know how.

1 Like