Heat Pump Experimentation App - Release News

That has got rid of the hash lines. Thanks.

I have updated my script to gather the values now but how do I use mmsp.json to set up the remaining feeds? And is my node name of melcloud OK?
Scrub that. I restarted apache (I guess something was cached somewhere) and then could edit my melcloud device to be of the MyForest/MMSP ASHP type. It offered to create the feeds it did not yet have.

Two hiccups: the wrench on the web interface does nothing when clicked and the config/application-configuration.json only seems to use some Rate1 values, not the Rate2 as well. I also added RoomTemperatureZone1 to the heating chart: I know you don’t use it, but I think it’s nice to see what it does.

1 Like

Makes sense to me. I suppose some people do care about the room temp and the humans :slight_smile:

@mjr If you want to go crazy and send a PR for your changes I’ll see if it makes sense to merge them in, notably the RoomTemperatureZone1 change is probably useful for sensible people who have room thermostats or who benefit from the Ecodan one.

1 Like

I’m not sure this is worth splitting out into a pull-request. The RoomTemperatureZone1 one is just the following added to config/application-configuration.js after TargetHCTemperatureZone1:

"RoomTemperatureZone1": {
        "displayOptions": {
            "label": "Inside",
            "color": "purple"
        },
        "type": "feed",
        "autoname": "RoomTemperatureZone1",
        "engine": 5,
        "optional": true,
        "description": "The room temperature in Zone1 in degrees Celsius (°C)"
    },

Purple?!

I was hoping for something more optimistic :slight_smile:

This currently has x60 in the input processing. How confident are you about that? It seems to be almost exactly double the amount consumed in the next report.

I treat the HeatPumpFrequency to be a percentage of the rated input power, i.e. between 0 and 100.
So, my 11.2 kW unit has a max input of 3.73 kW, so I multiply the frequency by 3.73 * 1000 / 100 to get the current power consumption in watts. It seems to track actual consumption reasonably well, better than the unit’s own estimate.

The factor for a smaller heat pump would be around 30, which is about half of 60 :wink:

1 Like

I think it used to be something like Watt-hour in the next minute so multiplying by 60 gives you Watts. I know it made my head hurt.

However, these days it seems to be misleading so I’ve actually filtered it out in my “Post to EmonCMS” script.

For example, the heat pump is running, other stats are changing, but it’s still showing the value it was when we rolled over the hour (which was 52 minutes ago).

I just noticed that:

“DemandPercentage”: 100,

is in the device.json but it’s at 100 even when the heat pump is off so that’s not looking at all helpful either.

@mjr do we need to alter something in the system to keep you working with the news from you and @Timbones about it being a percentage?

I did a few tweaks to get the Inside looking the way I imagine you want it @mjr

Would you mind taking a look at this PR to see if you’d like it done a different way?

I checked out the add-inside-temperature branch because I couldn’t see how to do anything with that PR. That looked good, except for whitespace on the end of the RoomTemperatureZone1 json bracket.

Is there space to add it to the header next to the outside temperatures, too? Does anything special need to be done to add it up there?

By the way, the wrench doesn’t work for me.

I don’t understand. It’s working for me as far as I know and my DemandPercentage isn’t always 100:

You’ll probably find that DemandPercentage drops to 30% whenever it’s heating water. Compare it against WaterPump4Status.

The other value it drops to (70%? mine goes to 90%) doesn’t seem to correlate to anything useful.

It’ll be difficult to provide a sensible default multiplier to convert HeatPumpFrequency into approximate consumption, as it needs to be specific to whichever heat pump the user has installed. I’d suggest keeping it as a simple percentage, maybe documenting how to estimate consumption from it.

The ‘wrench’ icon has never worked for me either.

WaterPump4Status is always 0 for me: either my hot water heating is driven from the main pump somehow, or something isn’t connected properly.

Comparing it to OperationMode instead suggests that DemandPercentage drops to 30 a few minutes before heating water (most often 2 minutes, but sometimes 4) and remains there until it’s heated. However, sometimes water is heated while DemandPercentage remains at 100!

Does this help @mjr and @Timbones ?

Ah, the perils of using Github’s web-based editor :slight_smile:

I’m probably biased because I live on my phone where there really isn’t even room for the current set!

Not really @mjr - it just needs a <td> something like this:

Fixed it up and merged it in for you. Hope that helps.

I know what you mean, but really, any two of Efficiency, Using and Producing would convey the same info and you only need whichever of Outside and Effective you actually use. Full details are on the graphs scrolling down.

Failing that, floating divs with a minimum width should adapt to screen width better than a table anyway. Three columns where possible, two where not, and so on. I’ll try to mock it up after I finish on a customer’s store front today, unless you scream that you hate the idea and it’s never getting merged.

I can now access the config, and select a bunch of settings I couldn’t before (like solar, which is nice). The main MMSP display still shows while editing the config, whereas other EmonCMS apps (e.g. My Heatpump) hide theirs while configuring. Not a huge issue, just seems a little odd.

I had to edit config/application-configuration.json to have engine = "0,2,5" to get some of my feeds to appear, as I’m using MYSQLTimeSeries (0) and PHPTimeSeries (2) for some of them.
(I’m not sure I’ve picked the right engines for my feeds, but I’m kinda stuck with them now).

Room Temperature is showing in the chart, though I need to fix the rounding of my data: :smiley:

Edit: looks like "fixed": 1 is missing from RoomTemperatureZone1’s “displayOptions”.
It works better after I add this line to the config:

That’s unexpected. I don’t see that. You aren’t being misled by the huge JPEG embedded on the config page are you?

Yep, that’s right.

Yeah, I have all my data stored externally so I can switch by dropping the feeds and replaying all my historic data.

This should sort you out.

1 Like