First try with EmonPi - Pulsecount stuck at 1

It looks very much like a faulty sensor. Contact the shop first: email [email protected] and refer to this thread.

1 Like

Ok, so I ordered a new sensor. Performed the same tests, same results!
Shorting still increments the counter, but I can’t get the new sensor voltage below 3.5V!

Confused!

So am I!
What did the shop say?

Waiting to hear back.

Waiting tor 23 days? - give them a nudge.

I only got to test the second sensor today! My delay not theirs.

Guys,

even end completing a script that can be run, where a OPS is directly connected to a RPi.

G

Q3 I think would be a P-type transistor.
If it was, it would be called a high side switching circuit, it’d ensure a voltage close to VCC is seen at Pulse during a high input.

You might be right. In which case it is in straight-forward common-emitter (or common-source) configuration.

I’ve changed the drawing.

Right. I recently made a similar circuit. It was in response to getting stuck at using a single transistor to switch up to a higher voltage. Maybe a single logic level mosfet could be used to simplify this circuit. It at least be a matter of getting the right LDR and mosfet working together.

I think a more worthwhile improvement would have the LED on the back telling the truth about the pulse on the output.

And I very much doubt it’s an LDR - it doesn’t look like an LDR, it’s labelled “D1”, the encapsulation is a photo-diode, and the response time is likely to be too slow.

I see that. That wouldn’t be difficult either.

I haven’t used a photo-diode ever. In full forward mode, bright light, they’d drop 0.7V ? That’d look to throw the mosfet idea out, I’m not sure about 2.6V drop even across a logic mosfet.

It’d be a case of reading more and experimenting…

D’Oh. I just realised that in converting the LED into the sensor, I forgot to turn the diode round. Photo-diodes operate reverse-biased.

So they are!
Just had a brief look at a datasheet. Can see what you mean by speed. Rise and fall time of 5ns in the test. Fast.