Emontx v2 peculiar vrms readings and power

It does explain rather a lot - particularly the bad power factor. But not the voltage readings.

Was it you who cracked it, or was it dead on arrival? I think that’s the second one I’ve heard of within recent memory.

The brittle nature of the core is the reason that I so strongly object to people calling these c.t’s “Clamps”, because under no circumstances should a c.t. with a ferrite core be clamped onto the cable. (Unless of course the housing is clearly designed to do that.) Wedging or clamping is inviting a cracked core.

No, it is quite a few years old. I have had it since the early days of emon. It was working when I removed it from it original position. I must have knocked it subsequently.

That is so true. I have lost count of the number of ferrite rings I have dropped over the years. My meter tails are 100Amp so the sensor is a close fit but not tight.

The ct is one of the old ones with a grey cable and a couple of diodes. I hope the new one will be a type 6 with a black cable.

I have them on 25 mm2 tails and that isn’t a problem. There is still a bit of wiggle room. As you say, a knock when it’s open is all it needs.

The grey-cable one is indeed old. Next came a black cable with soldered plug. The latest I’ve tested is the one with the black cable and moulded-on plug. The phase error is substantially improved in these.