EmonTX shield emonhub interface & node setup

A new user here trying to setup emontxshield with Rpi 3 via direct serial. 4CT’s and a Voltage transformer are connected and calibrated.
The emonhub log shows serial data coming in like this.

2023-02-24 04:39:19,141 DEBUG    SerialDirect 8217 NEW FRAME : 6 -0.00 -0.00 0.00 -0.00 0.58
2023-02-24 04:39:19,142 DEBUG    SerialDirect 8217 Timestamp : 1677213559.141082
2023-02-24 04:39:19,143 DEBUG    SerialDirect 8217 From Node : 6
2023-02-24 04:39:19,144 DEBUG    SerialDirect 8217    Values : [0, 0, 0, 0, 0.58]

Emonhub config:

[interfacers]
[[SerialDirect]]
     Type = EmonHubSerialInterfacer
      [[[init_settings]]]
           com_port = /dev/ttyAMA0      # or /dev/ttyAMA0 or/dev/ttyACM0 etc
           com_baud = 9600              # to match the baud of the connected device
      [[[runtimesettings]]]
           pubchannels = ToEmonCMS,
           nodename = emontxshield

[nodes]
[[6]]
    nodename = emontxshield

[[[rx]]]
       names = power1, power2, power3, power4, vrms
       datacode = 0      # not essential as "0" is default datacode for serial interfacer
       scale = 1         # not essential as "1" is default scale for serial interfacer
       units =W,W,W,W,V

The problem is that I can’t get the inputs to show up in EmonCMS?
Already tried a lot of different configs found in the forum but no solution… :confused:
When adding a device (I select → open energy monitor → emontx continuous sampling - > home energy monitor) and only a P1 input shows and it’s n/a
Is there someone who can point me in the right direction?

Appreciate your help.
Jo

Is this the entire emonhub config?

If so, you have nothing sending (publishing) the data.

https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/emonhub/overview.html#basic-concept

[Edit]
0.58 does not look like a valid vrms value.

I think it needs a space after the =. Might not be fatal though :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what hardware, software and firmware you have, but:
Assuming that this is what you mean by an emontxshield:

And assuming that the emonTx Arduino shield is plugged into something like an Arduino Uno with suitable firmware to make the measurements, then I assume that the Uno is connected to the Pi via USB.

In this case I think you will need to alter the Emonhub config lines to

[interfacers]
[[SerialDirect]]
     Type = EmonHubSerialInterfacer
      [[[init_settings]]]
           com_port = /dev/ttyUSB0      # or /dev/ttyAMA0 or/dev/ttyACM0 etc
           com_baud = xxxxx              # to match the baud of the connected device - the Uno
      [[[runtimesettings]]]
           pubchannels = ToEmonCMS,

assuming that this is the correct USB port on the Pi.
/dev/ttyAMA0 refers to the serial RX and TX pins on the Pi 40 way GPIO connector.

com_baud = 9600 needs to be altered to suit the rate sent from the Uno

I apologize if the assumptions are wrong!

As @vandura231 appears to be seeing credible data in the emonHub log (except that 0.58 Vrms is presumably pick-up - the a.c. adapter isn’t plugged in), I think we can rule out communications problems.

Thanks for your help all, The board is the one mentioned above. and the AC adapter isn’t plugged in at the moment. I see my test measurements (power & voltage) appear in the emonhub serial log. when testing.
The rpi3 is connected direct to the GPIO. hence /dev/ttyAMA0.
I asume communication is working fine.
Do inputs appear without adding a device? It seems that my board is not in the device list?

Your assumptions are spot on :grinning:

They should do - but where are you looking? The “Setup” → “Inputs” page is where they should first appear.

Yes, that’s where I expected them to show up. But it stays empty.
Here’s how they log in the serial monitor in the admin page (node 6)

6 0 0 1 -0 2
6 -0 -0 0 -0 2
6 -0 -0 -0 0 3
6 0 -0 -0 -0 6

are there any other logs i should pay attention to?

This is absolute confirmation that the data is reaching the Pi, so I’d suggest there’s part of your emonCMS ihat isn’t running.

What does “Admin” → “System info” tell you? (At this point, my knowledge of emonCMS goes no further, so it’s back to @borpin .)

Did you actually read my answer? EmonTX shield emonhub interface & node setup - #2 by borpin

Yes, I did. I understand now and it’s working. It did not have a location to send to. I did tidy up to much.
The config I pasted was all ther was. I added the “EmonHubEmoncmsHTTPInterfacer” and they popped up.

Thank you all for your time and patience!!
I’m marking your post as the solution Brian.

1 Like