emonTx connecting to arduino IDE using programmer

Is a serial Ethernet adapter available in the shop? How do i turn up the power on the emonTx? It does have to travel through some pretty thick walls and is maybe about 30m away

I’m only getting readings of 300 from my CT clamps. Is there something i need to change?

All CT clamps are facing the same way, but i’m getting negative feeds?

Also does anybody know what ‘inactive’ means?

Inactive means “haven’t seen new data recently”. I’m not exactly sure what is considered “recently”, but it suggests you aren’t getting data.

On my Inputs and Feeds pages, that column includes a number of seconds, minutes or hours since each feed or input was updated, where yours says “Inactive”.

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like it is actually the temperature inputs that are showing 300. This would mean that no temperature sensor is present.

There’s a reference list here:

Thanks @Gwil that makes sense

Thanks @Greebo

Does anybody have any instructions to upload the firmware via serial to the emonTx? I don’t understand this GitHub - openenergymonitor/emonupload: Upload / update latest OpenEnergyMonitor firmware

Can I upload using Arduino IDE for example?

You will need to edit the sketch for your emonTx, compile and upload it.
You get the source code for the sketch from

and the line you need to change is line 52 (or thereabouts) in the main file:

#define RFPWR 0x99

The maximum is 0x9F. If you operate the transmitter at that power without an effective antenna, you will most likely damage the transmitter module, and it’s not easily replaceable. I’d increase it only as much as necessary to get reliable reception.

Then compile the sketch (you must have all 3 files) and upload it to your emonTx using your programmer.

I’m afraid not.

I would advise using that in preference to anything else. It is very well documented and reliable in my experience. There’s a page in ‘Learn’ for installing it, and another for installing the libraries that you need.

None of your nodes are receiving any data apparently.

How do you ‘run’ ./emonupload.py when trying to upload firmware?

I have saved the emonupload zipped file to the Arduino libraries, but there is nothing in there for me to open??

thanks @borpin I figured this out. It was because I hadn’t updated the config file

Are there instructions to update firmware onto an existing emonTx. I have downloaded emonupload and have the zip file in my Arduino library, but have no idea how to get it onto the emonTx.

I’m using a Windows laptop. Whenever i try to use the sudo command in cmd it doesn’t work. I can’t access the serial port using Putty either.

I would again suggest installing the Arduino IDE and libraries as per the page in Learn.
Learn→Electricity Monitoring→Using the Arduino IDE

There are specific instructions for the programmers sold in The Shop here:
Learn→Electricity Monitoring→Programmers

Thanks Robert, I have done as you suggested and uploaded all the libraries. I’m still no closer to figuring out how to do the following though:

I previously followed the programmer instructions and managed to change the node id using Arduino IDE. That was quite straightforward

The Arduino IDE is nothing to do with Python. If you downloaded and installed the Windows version, it runs under Windows 10.

So i have done the following steps:

• Uploaded all the relevant libraries into the Arduino folder and then pointed Arduino to said folder
  • Saved emontx3phase into a folder on my computer
  • I have opened src.ino in Arduino IDE, which shows the three tabs (src/config/rfm)
  • I edited the node id to match the one i want to use
  • I then verified the sketch and then pressed ‘upload’

This seemed to be successful, but i now have a blank screen when running the serial monitor

I then changed the baudrate to 9600 and i now have data coming through

Have you read and followed all the instructions and settings with their explanations in the comments at the top of the sketch? Better still, if you’d downloaded the zip file from my post here in the forum, there’s full documentation in the form of a .pdf file. That’s been left off Github for some reason.

Unfortunately, the processor is too busy to be able to handle anything faster.