emonPi3 Updates

Sorry @Trytan, my profuse apologies for missing that! :hot_face:

I had looked in a lot of places in the OEM site, but had missed the Docs / emonPi2 and emonTx4 / Temperature, Pulse and Analog sections! Silly me!

I would suggest:

Adding a Temperature, Pulse and Analog section to the emonTx5 Docs

Adding a note that a 6CT expansion board canā€™t be fitted if the analog input is being used, to:
https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/emontx4/6ct_expansion_board.html

Apologies again for the blunder! :hot_face:

Thanks @rupert, good suggestions!

I was thinking I could add a detail that if you remove the 6CT expander header pin for CT12 it would be possible to use 11 CT sensors and the analog input.

Thatā€™s a very good idea!

It looks like this limitation will be removed in the emonPi3 and emonTx6, and the emonPi3 / emonTx6 6 CT Expansion board.

Hi @rupert - thanks for raising this too. Iā€™ll update the TVS symbol, it was copied from the original and the one Iā€™m using is bidirectional (Toshiba DF2B7AE,H3F) - Iā€™m in the middle of updating all the manufacturers, part numbers, and distributor codes right now but wanted to push the change for the analog input quickly.

Itā€™s placed there to protect the AC coupling cap, which is only rated to 10 V. Full disclosure, Iā€™m not an expert in ESD protection and Iā€™m going by rules of thumb and datasheet recommendations so please feel free to correct/suggest anything in this area.

TVS diodes on the other inputs would be a good move too but will need to be careful with the clamp voltage as they are direct inputs.

@Robert.Wall - itā€™s a small overhead to do the zero crossing detection in software. Unfortunately the built in comparator is on the same pins as the ADC so I have to use an external one for the emonPi3 (it would be feasible with fewer CT inputs). Iā€™ll do a comparison of the two methods - the space where the comparator is could be used for a time base better than the internal RC oscillator (0.15% as discussed) if that was a more productive use of board space and pins?

Hi @awjlogan - thanks for the reply. I will admit that Iā€™m not an expert in ESD protection either. The use of a unidirectional TVS at the input did look a bit odd but the fact that itā€™s bidirectional to protect the AC coupling cap explains a lot.

One point that perhaps needs to be considered is whether the OEM test house does ESD testing during certification? And if so what method is used?

Depending on the level of detail, I think ESD design can be quite complicated!

On another note, itā€™s interesting that you mention the the CPU clock. I did notice that the emonPi3 CPU didnā€™t have a crystal, whereas previous models (e.g. emonTx4) used a crystal. However I donā€™t know the timing requirements needed for emonTx power measurements!

Thanks to all involved for the work being done on the eemonPi3.

1 Like

Yes, nice work on all of this @awjlogan, look forward to catching up on Thursday :slight_smile:

1 Like

ESD testing

The standard is IEC 61000-4-2, which defines a number of levels of increasing energy and power. Definitely one to get in touch with the certification house before the final production run!

timing requirements

For the basic energy monitoring system, it doesnā€™t have to be anything special. The assumption is that the mains frequency is consistent enough (obligated to be Ā±1% in the UK) to use - the firmware converts the report interval in seconds into a number of mains cycles and uses that to determine when to send a report. However, Rob and I have been discussing some more advanced (future) features where a more precise local time source would be useful. The ATSAMD has a better onboard oscillator than the AVR, but still no where near as good as a dedicated oscillator.

thanks to all

Youā€™re very welcome, and thank you your constructive feedback :smiley:

@awjlogan

I did a little internet trawl on ESD earlier, and found the following, which may be useful:

I was wondering what was the surge voltage* rating of the 6.3 WV / 10u input capacitors. The ones used in the emonTx4 are yageo CC0603KRX5R5BB106, and according to their data sheet

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/447/UPY_NP0X5R_01005_4V_to_25V_V10-3003057.pdf

although they donā€™t have a surge voltage* spec, it seem that they are tested at 2.5 x Ur which I presume means 2.5 x 6.3 = 15.75V (bottom of page 17).

• not sure if this is the correct term - it was used on big electrolytic can style capacitors!

Looking at the ATSAMD21J17A-M data sheet, Section 37.10 Injection Current gives the spec limits for the maximum current injection into / out of an I/O pin by voltages above Vdd or below GND, at both Vdd: 3V < Vdd ā‰¤ 3.6V and Vdd: Vddā‰¤3V.

Hi @rupert - Iā€™ve added ESD protection to all the inputs and around the buttons. As the TVS diodes will breakdown at ~5V, we need to limit the current into the pins (1K1 is the calculated value, but 1K is fine and easier for BoM purposes); this is R7, R46, and R48 for the pulse and analog inputs. The buttons already have the series resistance in line. You can get the update on commit 763795a. Iā€™ve also added you to the acknowledgements, thanks for your input on this.

@awjlogan
Thanks for the update, and thanks again for all the work everybody is putting in.
Itā€™s all looking good! Good luck with powering it up when it arrives!

rupert

1 Like