emonPi hangs and stops logging

OK, the EmonPi keeps crashing / being completely unresponsive without any obvious cause, I am not doing anything to it, one munte it is alive and the next it is dead and only a hard reset brings it back to life. I am at the limit of my understanding here and I’m getting very frustrated with it.

I am wondering what happens if I reflash the SD card with a virgin OS, I then don’t import the old data and start the setup process from scratch as though I’d just bought a new EmonPi. Will it be easy for me to reconnected the “new” EmonPi to the existing EmonCMS account?

by “existing EmonCMS account” are you referring to a emoncms.org hosted account? If so yes, if you are referring to a local emoncms, that;s in your backups and can only be accessed if restored.

I think it might be a good idea to start over and take smaller steps.

Step one - start with a sdcard freshly flashed with the emonSD image, give the emonpi a wired Ethernet connection (don’t worry about any sensors at this point if you need to move it to a wired network point). With the card inserted and the Ethernet connected, power it up and walk away, leave it for an hour to be sure it completes it’s initial upgrades and updates.

Only when that is completely finished and you can confirm all is well by ssh’ing in and doing some checks (share the emonpiupdate.log with us), should you start configuring wifi etc.

At this point you can check the emonhub.logs and check the services are running but do not set up local emoncms yet.

Then you can return it to the sensors, connect them all before powering the emonpi up, then add the emoncms.org apikey to resume posting data to the online “existing” emoncms (if that’s what you have).

At this point you can confirm the network connection is still good and check everything is working as expected and make a decision on whether to import your old local emoncms data or start a fresh.

There is no question, you should not be having these issues and I cannot rule out any software or hardware at this point either, but moving from a new downloaded image through to a completely configured, updated, imported old data and deployed system in one move is only good if it works first time, the additional checks will help get it right, debug any issues and possibly save you from landing in the same position a second time and none the wiser.

Thank you. That is very helpful.

By “EmonCMS” I do mean my emoncms-dot-org account, yes. (I can’t post links!) I am not very worried about losing local data, but it would be nice to keep what is at emoncms-dot-org and connect the “new” EmonPi to it. I will backup the data (if it will let me) before I start with a fresh OS and config it from new.
I suspect the issue is an incompetent operator (me) who broke things just over 12 months ago, but yes I appreciate it could be a hardware fault, or indeed something else.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you again.

You can now, I bumped you up a couple of user levels. :slight_smile:

And I’ve “Unspammed” your posts!

And somehow in the process the previously valid post (6 posts back/up) has been determined as spam by “the system” retrospectively!

Unhidden now. I wonder when “System” will get the message?

Actually looking closer at those posts you’ve “unspammed” they are all existing old posts, there was nothing new there. “The system” has gone crazy!

That’s what I’d decided. As they’d been moved by a moderator, they should thereafter be immune from “System” intervention.

Perhaps @starbuck isn’t content with just breaking his emonpi, he’s havin’ a go at breaking the forum too :grin:

1 Like

… ably assisted by @system

1 Like

I think I have it working correctly… I’ll let you know if it stops logging again but so far so good.

1 Like