emonDC Development

That diode will do alright, better than nothing.

Is one of the B-channel fuses blown? If the short circuit happened through B then either or both fuses could be done in.

TVS - Oh good, as got some lying around.

I’ve not yet tested this fuse section. Let me check this section an revert back.

Hello Daniels.

Some good news.

The Fuse are ok. no damage.

After placing the TVS P6Ke16 - both channel reading are now accurate.

Board has been placed back to my solar system.

Next step to update the firmware.

great. the current firmware is here:
. GitHub - danbates2/emonDCduo: specific for duo, h/w & s/w

there’s an update coming soon which will help with grabbing the files from the sd card… if you choose to update before this sd card manager thing coming, you’ll be able to do it again in the future over wifi so at least re-flashing would be easier.

To be honest. I’ve been trying the firmware upload. No success. Will better wait for the Wifi option

Sure, although, you might have the same job uploading by serial first to get any WiFi upload feature. I was trying to say if you upload by serial now, you’ll be able to do the WiFi next time. I can’t remember if you can WiFi the firmware with your current version.

You have a USB - UART adaptor and are putting the unit into boot mode? Jumper by the esp module for boot mode.

You’ve got a handle on platformio? Command for uploading “pio run -t upload”.

It can be tricky doing a first firmware upload, platformio is a good one to start with.

1 Like

Firmware update.

changelog:

• update platform [email protected]
  • sd card file download implemented from web-gui. Available in the ‘logs’ section of the web page.
  • for locations without wifi, time for the RTC can be taken from the client’s browser automatically.
  • a wide range of settings regarding calibration of current and voltage channels, and battery data, now available through the web-gui.
  • OLED display improvements. Displays charging/discharging symbol and time-until-discharged for the battery.

This update has been focussed on improving the datalogging and stand-alone functionality, those contexts without wifi being dependent on sd card logging.

Updates here, including pre-compiled binary for flashing with esptool.
. GitHub - danbates2/emonDCduo: specific for duo, h/w & s/w

I made a quick check of the INA210 shunt monitor IC.

Seems a very accurate little chip.
It’ll be standard on the next emonDC unless anyone has any better suggestions for low-side sensing?

I’ve had an idea to standardise a PCB socket on emonDC for plugging in different shunt monitors for different applications. So far, most of the time, they have in common a few pins…
Vcc
Gnd
Ref
In+
In-
Output

Exceptions to this are the I2C interface ICs.

So I’m going to have a 6-pin socket in case I want to switch out daughter boards. Chips come and go too, so might come in handy being able to replace something without revision of the main board.

edit:
This evening I’ve had a look at the LMP8603, which is capable of high and low-side measurement. It worked well enough in both.

low-side input mV:

low-side output V:

Internally, the LMP8603’s have a preamp followed by another opamp. The path between the two amplifiers is broken out on pins 3 and 4 which makes an opportunity for a space saving sallen-key low-pass filter arrangement.

Sure looking forward to the day when I can go to the OEM shop and purchase a DC sensor/monitor!!!
I’ve been waiting for this for years! Any new progress?