DIYBMS v4

I ordered 5 Controllers and 50 modules on the 11 March 2020, and still have not arrived, I have at least 20 package on order and it’s been 3-4 months, they are coming is very very slowly

This is something a bit strange. I have received my package in around 2 weeks.

That’s very long time - mine arrived also in around 2 weeks. Also I’ve noticed that they were re-packed in EU - so probably they are shipping bulk orders from China to EU and then re-address/post them from logistics centre in EU.

1 Like

Hi all, the previous JLCPCB offer has now expired (where you had to email rebecca) however I’ve got a new one for you!

If you use this coupon code when you place a JLCPCB order

JLC-Stuart

you will get a discount and I get a very small amount of credit for every 30 orders, which helps to support the cost of prototyping new designs and adding new features.

4 Likes

I’ll see what I can do on that, making them into multiples of 8 would be good.

2 Likes

I’d drop this info into GitHub @stuart.

1 Like

yeah 8S would be good as I think most people are either 7S or 14S and it’s good to have spare

1 Like

I live in South Africa, I have found a forwarding company, my next order will be $2 to Shenzen and then $15 to me total trip time 2 weeks

my bms is randomly reading the battery voltage. what would be the cause of this?

Thank you Stuart. Using PlatformIO solved my problem. I have successfully flashed 10 modules now. Also, your integration with MQTT and InfluxDB are very easy to setup. I now have working and great looking dashboards in Grafana. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thanks Terry. In addition to using PlatformIO instead of the Arduino IDE (as suggested by Stuart), I also had to redo the cables as you recommended.

1 Like

Hi Stuart and all, I just got my pcbs from jlcpcb, and perhaps I was a bit fast ordering the parts considering that I had intended to use them for 74p packs.

Not to worry, load dump capacity is variable in my project.

My question is, after attempting to read all 3k posts in this and the other threads, I have come to the understanding that 24p is probably the largest safely balanceable pack… Is this correct?

If so, is it possible to scale these boards, perhaps by simply enlarging them and giving them larger tracers and caps?

Or is it possible to use the same controller to control a few boards in paralell?

Is this the solution I have been looking for for the last two years to power my 10kw pack?

Thank you

(edit; my dyslexia)

That’s a big series pack, can you tell me more, why do you need such high voltage?

As it stands the controller can only support 64 modules, I don’t think anyone has actually tested that many.

You could use two controllers and the spread the modules, but the controller would only see half of the voltage and then the rules and benefits of using a BMS won’t be there.

As I mentioned tell me more, and perhaps there are some simple changes we can look at.

Oh I’m sorry, I meant parallel.

Essentially I managed to snag two Tesla packs for well under market price and seeing that I already have a lead acid “set-up”, I need to reconfigure the pack to run 8 or 9 series instead of the current 6 it has now.

So shut off right now is set to 23v and float is up to 32v, if I remember correctly(these voltages are somewhat configurable). Ideally I would like to utilize all the batteries, so that would be something like 110 cells in parallel, and 8 in series. Ideally the inverter, would be able to communicate with the BMS via CANBUS…but I can also let the BMS control the inverter, which is probably the better idea anyway

Originally I wanted to use the SBMS from electrodacus to run these packs, but the “closed” nature of it, along with other half “open” projects just put me off.

I really appreciate you making the board files available and for making this a diy project from which we can learn. You are a legend.

1 Like

There are lots of options here, at a minimum 8 modules can monitor the 110 cells but thats probably a bit of an extreme case.

I’d probably look at splitting those 110 cells into 5 groups and use 40 cell monitors.

Tell me more about what you have setup? Is it all modules reading random values or just 1 ?

What other options do you speak of?

I mean for layout of the cells you have

Samsung ICR18650-22V 3.7v 2200mAh

Part No.: ICR18650-22V
Model: Samsung ICR18650-22V 3.7v 2200mAh Battery Cell
1)Nominal voltage: 3.7V
2)Nominal capacity: 2.2Ah
3)Charging voltage: 4.2V
4)Discharging cut-off voltage: 3.0V
5)Single battery cell: ICR18650-22V
6)Charging current: 2A
7)Continuous discharge current: 1C
8)Max peak current : 4.5C
9)Dimension: D:18mm*Length:65mm

Is this what you need?

Otherwise approximately 110 or 95 parallel, and either 8 or 9 series, depending on the end voltage I will go with.

@stuart Can I ask you the latest changes and main reasons from v4 to current revision 4.2?
In this thread I’ve seen the new layout but so far I didn’t find it on github.