DIYBMS v4

Yes, fine

1 Like

It was a bit of fiddling in visual studio code, (couldnt inmedeatly find the options to save and rebuild the files to upload to the wemos) but in the end it worked, tonight i try to control the relay board.
I also soldered up my 6 spare cell modules to replace the ones i probably did not solder well enough…
All seems to work ok now, some more testing to do the next days.

Thanks for all the help!

Can anybody tell me what info from the diybms is sent to influxdb?

Also

Has anybody recently created a modified firmware for the diybms for displaying a grafana dashboard with custom statistics etc…?

Grafana and influxdb is all brand new to me, but now that I have mine large DIY battery pack up and running using the diybms system I want to create a LCD panel on the front of the battery pack to display as much information as possible and it nice format.

So if anybody here is familiar with grafana in the diybms please reach out to me or if anyone could point me in the right direction on more detailed info on what data is sent to influxdb or how to modify firmware to do so…

Last night I got my Raspberry Pi all set up with grafana and influxdb installed. But was having trouble resetting the esp8266 wifi settings so I could connect the diybms to the same network SSID as my Raspberry Pi. so tonight when I get home I will just flash a new esp8266 and connect to the correct SSID

THANKS

In red circle are the info I gather from diyBMS controller. Left I see the actual cell voltage - right i see the cycles of the batteries. If those are asymentric, I know that a pack is performing bad.

Colin Hickey made a useful youtube introduction how to configure influx query for cells.

1 Like

repost…

Did you get an answer? I had the same problem last year. It’s down to the PCF8574 being a slightly different Version (This is from memory).

Stuart gave me the fix some where in this forum. Essentially edit line 91 in the main.ccp of the Controller. From x38 to x20.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: TL432G-AE3-R is no longer available from JLCPCB

Did you connect to 192.168.4.1 first and set up the WiFi?

Cheers
Alex

@swissiws

Thanks for the info. Yeah I finally got my diybms’s esp8266 sending data to influxdb.

Now I’m wondering how I would go about getting the diybms to also send the temperature data, which cells are are balancing,the state of the relay outputs etc…
And would it be easier to implement this into the existing esp8266 code or using another Micro Controller that monitors this info and then sends it to influxdb? Or maybe there would be a easier way of doing this?

Any info / help would be super appreciated. I’ve always been a “hardware” guy… I wish I would have got more into programming when I was younger. Recently I have tried to learn how to write sketches for Arduino, but that did not go very well… LOL I can sort of slightly modify pre-existing Arduino sketches to get them to work for my needs but it’s a nightmare. I just don’t have the patience I used too, and I just get super frustrated

But if anybody here has done something like this already or could help me do this, point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Apart from the relay outputs, all the other data is already sent over MQTT

• Voltage
  • Internal Temp (degree C)
  • External Temp (degree C)
  • Bypass status (0/1)

These fields should be visible on MQTT: voltage, inttemp, exttemp, bypass.

The code that does it is here,

1 Like

@Jon_Coop

With some minor changes you could get this type of data out. I did some minor changes earlier to try out. Above is just a preview of some things i hope can be added :slight_smile:
And of course relay and rule statuses like this:

Stuart: Not sure but i dont seem to be able to PM you here or its just not me used to this style of forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Stuart, I’m starting a solar project for my garden, and after much research I’ve honed in on your diyBMS system. I’ve watched your intro Youtube video, and I’m ready to order parts. Before I bite the bullet over at JLCPCB, I remembered this comment which I had previously read. If you do have spare v4.21 modules and a controller laying around, I would much rather buy from the “source”. I am building an 7S configuration, so 7-8 modules would be great. Anyway, I literally just created this account some minutes ago to ask you this, but who knows, maybe I’ll be frequenting here again. If this is an unwanted request, please feel free to tell me to get lost. But then again, you did put the offer out there!

Hello! I sold those spare boards (the post was from 2019), but the openenergymonitor shop still has stock of them!

Welcome, Daniel.
Sorry I didn’t notice earlier, but as a new user you’re not allowed to post PMs. I’ve promoted you so you should be able to now - just click on Stuart’s icon (ideally the one on the relevant post) or click on your icon at the top right of the screen, then on the envelope twice, then New Message.

1 Like

Ah I see. Thanks. One question though, do these “partially populated” boards on the openenergymonitor store come with ALL the additional base components needed? The controller for example doesn’t make that 100% clear. Would be good to know before I pull the trigger.

I’m getting this error message when trying to build the new code release for the esp8266

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘log’, ‘–pretty=format:%h_%ad’, ‘-1’, ‘–date=short’]’ returned non-zero exit status 128.:

I’m not sure what to do about it. The attiny code compiles just fine.
its the latest ‘relay release’ 2020.11.2

Did you just download the zip file or did you install GitHub? Platform Io is reporting an error as it can’t find the git tool.

Yes all the bits you need except for cables between the modules.

I downloaded the .zip file. In ‘latest releases’
Opened the workspace and it doesn’t work.
When I clone the master it works, but not with the new web interface. (version number and relay rules)

For a test, I copied the ESP Controller folder from the latest releases .zip file over the folder I copied from the master branch and VSC gave me these errors:

Hey fellaz,

Thanks for your help / info about the data that gets sent to influxdb.

@stuart

Now, Grafana, InfluxdDB, and MQQT is all very new to me. So far I have done a bunch of research and whatnot, and was able to get Grafana installed on a Raspberry Pi including InfluxDB for the database. And the other day I was able to see two different data inputs from the DIYBMS in the InfluxDB database. Not exactly sure why I didn’t see the rest of them but I will check again tonight and see what I can figure out.

But in your latest reply you mentioned that all those different values are being sent from the DIYBMS thru MQTT… Are these values also being sent to/with InfluxDB?

From a few different tutorials when I set up the Raspberry Pi with Grafana and InfluxDB it seems as if MQTT “or” InfluxDB could be used as a database…

In the DIYBMS settings, there are both MQTT and InfluxDB. At the moment I only filled out the information for InfluxDB. Do I also need to fill out the MQTT info as well and get MQTT installed on the Raspberry Pi? Or do I just use one of the other? I was under the assumption that either MQTT or InfluxDB can be used as a database to get info into Grafana.

Thanks again. And please bare with me on this just for a little while until I can grasp how Grafana, etc All works.