DIYBMS v4

@stuart does the MQTT also receive messages to control the relays ? I mean if i have some other rules in a separate HW can i tell diyBMS using MQTT to activate one of the relays ?

It doesn’t support this at the moment, it may be possible after the move to the new ESP32 controller, the existing ESP8266 is running a bit low on power to handle all these different interfaces.

@stuart That would be nice, any progress on the shunt or are you mostly busy with the new design of the diyBMS you posted earlier ?

I’m still looking at the shunt, the problem is getting that to communicate back to the controller the ESP8266 just doesn’t have enough I/O pins left for me to use, hence the new controller.

Ahh now I understand why you started working on this. Nice. Let us know when we can order the new PCB for the new controller while you work on the software.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Getting data from the serial port

Hi all, I’m new here and would like to order from JLCPCB, but unfortunately are the D1 “TL432G-A-AE3-R” not in stock.
What is a the type of D1 what I can use for my order.

Thanks for support.
Best regards, Tom

Best is to wait because the one replacement item is also not in stock.

See this post where the issue is also addressed:

1 Like

Hello, new to the diyBMS. I was wondering, exactly what data is sent over MQTT?

My setup: Raspberrypi 3B+ running mosquitto broker, apache webpage, phpmyadmin, sql, and node-red.

I have successfully displayed my node-red workflow on the webpage and connected the UI to the mqtt broker.

Now, my question is - what kind of data will i be getting? I’ve tested the setup with mosquitto_pub from SSH and node and the webpage both respond.

I am just not sure exactly what msg.payload i am capable of parsing. Can we do msg.temp or msg.mV for example under the diybms topic?

Would love some help with this :slight_smile:

@stuart,

The new controler board…
It have now 2x relays?
If possible to control 4 that would be great.
It’s something I really do use.
Temperature turns on fans.
Naturally too high to stop charge, too low to stop discharge and one to disconnect the battery in case of emergency.

The J1 is used by my smoke detector who have besides audio signal also a relay, who triggers J1.

Fire is for me a case of emergency :wink:
So is a cell dropping below 2.3v
Some others like mushroom stop button also counts as emergency.

I don’t really need to move towards new version of controller board (yet), it’s to inform you that several of the options are indeed used!!

If they are lost in a new version, it would stop me from upgrading.

I’m confused here.

The controller board receive power from USB, yes?

Why would additional power source be needed?

The relay board doesn’t seem to need external power.

Probably stupid question, still in the process of building the Powerwall.

After 6 days I’m ready to build the second layer.

Due to medical reasons I’m not the fastest builder .

Lucky our inverters (Revo II from Sorotec) can work without batteries.

We have power between 09.00 and 16.00

When the 50 kWh LiFePO4 Powerwall is really, it’s 24/7 :slight_smile:

I wrote how the relays are being to be used,
I simply bought DC to USB, it works between 9 to 30v.
2 in series provide me with 8 ports, also to be used for Ammeter and stuff.

They are about 4 USD, include transport to Thailand

Does the controller board needs additional power source?
Or just the usb on the WiFi?

Do you still have?
I admire your project
[email protected]
14 West St TA4 2JP

I figured it out. By going to the debug node and connecting it directly to the mqtt_in node, then setting the debug to capture the whole msg i was able to parse the msg and look at the message blocks. Now i can organise my flow to display the data in a UI.

Has anyone here connected a humidity sensor to the BMS cell modules? I’d like to do that.

I have kind of a unique use-case for diyBMS - i am using it for a custom fuel cell system. I have the fuel cell operational, and i am using the diyBMS to balance the stack. So far it works great!!

however i’d like to be able to monitor the humidity. I have decided to build around the SHTC3,
(Humidity Temperature Sensor 0 ~ 100% RH I²C ±2% RH 8s Surface Mount).

It is I2C, i was wondering what the compatibility with the Cell modules would be & exactly where in the code would i edit to enable that data to make it to the GUI

@stuart

Hi @WanderingZanzey, this sounds interesting, can you drop me a private message about what you have setup and I’ll discuss how a humidity sensor could be added.

That would be great! Thank you :slight_smile:

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to private message you on this webpage.

Click on Stuart’s image icon, then Message.

Or…

Click on your icon in the top banner, then the envelope - twice - then New Message (on the left) and put Stuart’s name where you have “Add a user”.

I appreciate the help - but i don’t have any of those options :confused:

Try now - I’ve bumped your privileges up by one. (I should have checked that earlier - sorry.)

1 Like

yup, it works now. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like