DIYBMS v4

Hi @stuart, I would like to know if you want to collaborate with me and make an affordable commercial version that i can sell in South Africa. I have a small startup that lets people do DIY and I’m looking to make it more affordable to get a salable system for People. Let me know if you are instereste.

https://jlcpcb.com/parts/componentSearch?searchTxt=ATTINY841

there is ATTINY at jlcpcb again
order quickly, there are only 99 pieces.
with this link you can always see which ones are in stock!

2 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner. Thank you. Only ordered 15 circuits. Already have 5 controllers on the way so I’ll have spare controllers in the US.

Now only 84 pieces are available.
Congratulate yourself on your catch. I unfortunately ordered 20 pieces without ATTINY, I couldn’t wait any longer :frowning:

1 Like

I should have looked at the cost difference for 30 but didn’t want to hog them all. I’ll have enough for three 7s banks (10 circuits on hand already) which is all I need to get rolling.

Hello John_Taves and Stuart, wouldn’t it be better to talk about your conversation privately or in a new topic? Unfortunately, this topic loses a lot of clarity in your very long articles. Wouldn’t it be better to show your constructive results in this post? Please do not get this wrong!!!

1 Like

Maybe a technical thread and an order/build thread. And another thread for troubleshooting builds.

just try every module first so you ca isolate whos causing the problem

Done!- move to DIYBMS v4 Shunt Design and discussion

1 Like

Is there a document for the protocol for the modules so that another controller could be used and could they be used on large cells with resistor and fet upgrades

Is there anything like this thermosistor that can be used externally? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGJKPT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I can’t seem to find one with leads. I ordered a few, but they are annealed wires and I’ve been having bad luck the last few days. I’m also not very in love with the idea of having bare’ish wire in my battery bank.

@stuart,
At JLCPCB there is a maximum limit of 30 BMS for soldered the parts.

I asked them how to do, as the setup costs and the parts swapping costs are relatively high.

They told me to use “mousebites”
Google told me that they are brackets between prints.
Example picture:images (1)

Like many users here, I don’t have experience with PCB, except upload Gerber files to PCB maker :slight_smile:

Is it possible to create new Gerber, BOM and pick’n place File that have 4 BMS ?

I have 2* 16S battery.
Sadly now I’m missing 2 BMS for the other array.

During my order the attiny and R19, the 0605 thermistor wasn’t available at JLCPCB.

I ordered and have all the parts.
Now waiting for the microscope to be able to solder the thermistor.
That’s really tiny :slight_smile:

For other people who have the same issues, having a set of 4 (or 4, 8 and 16) would be really helpful.

I don’t know if it is possible to use the Gerber and other files to make mousebites in a PCB design program.

If that is possible, please tell me what program is most dummy proof to do this.

Thank you!

Help?
Apparently I can’t reply to this question as I have a maximum of 3 posts for this forum ??
(This number of 3 posts I already exceeded a month ago)
(I get pop-up message that tells me new users can post maximal 3 post in this forum??)

1 Like

You should be good to go now. I bumped your user account up a notch.

2 Likes

I’ve had discussions with the forum shop and will look to pick up that again soon, so you can buy larger and smaller quantities of modules.

I’ll take a look at the panel option recommend by jlcpcb

Thanks!

I wasn’t aware there is a forum shop!!
I’ll try to find it :slight_smile:

Update:
Found it, it doesn’t have BMS things yet.

I don’t know if it’s possible to make combination PCB’s using the Gerber files, or that one would need the original.

Being noob, I don’t even know if they are available at GitHub or for you private.

1 Like

Jlc have an automated panel option. But from memory when you select that, you can’t use the automatic assembly!

Why not ask on here is users have a couple of modules spare?

Good Idea :slight_smile:

Hello people,
Does any of you have 2 or 3 BMS PCB left over??

It’s OK if they don’t have the attiny yet, or even the thermistor :slight_smile:
the Thermistor was cheaper per 50.
Attiny I bought 32, and going to solder 30.
(that is, if i don’t mess-up to bad)

After my microscope arrives and i’ve done the thermistors, I know how much of the 30 BMS pcb survived my abuse…

I like to use the DIYBMS on both 16S batteries.
you can send me PM?

Thanks in advance!!

There’s controller and circuit. Which one are you looking for in which country?

Hello Mike O,

The circuit, 3*5cm, for Thailand

Controllers I should have 3 left over.
(I made mistake with BOM file e.g., that one I can solder by hand)

Thanks for the reply!

I was helping a friend to order cell modules (but in NissanLeaf design) and also had a problem that thermistors were out of stock. JLCPCB in the chat told me that their suppliers are also out of stock so it is not known when they have them again. So I just swapped it with 0402 thermistor with same parameters that was available. Yes, for that I need to install kikad, find out how it works to change a pad from 0603 to 0402, but it took only like 30 minutes (totally with download, installation, bom and cpl update, etc). For me it is more practical than hand soldering 0603 =)