Controlling TP Link smart sockets via NodeRed

If you only want to use voice control to switch plugs then an echo dot should work directly with your tapo plugs.

You would not need node red in that scenario.

But, with the old hs100 110 plugs and node-red obviously you can do a lot more.

GB

@BrochGB1you read my mind about node-red → echo-dot → Tapos :slight_smile:
Indeed I wanted to do just that, because I’d like to use my Arduino and ESP microcontrollers for all 5v/12v / sensors / actuators / pwm controls of a large orchid enclosure I’ve been designing for the last two years, and smart plugs for the 220v (I sort of do not like to have too many high tensions DIY connections around water and kid). OK I’ll go with the h100/h110 folks. If they do not work I may have to resort to simple relays / triacs controlled by ESP. Not my first choice. Also, I do not like Amazon to enter the scenario, I wanted something nuclear plant - proof that I will not update for the next seven years and then an AI will design it for me in a snap :smiley:
Thank you :hugs:

Ha ha!
From the sound of it, you dont need much assistance! And if you did, I’m not gonna be much help to you!
I’m doing real simple stuff with node-red . I’m monitoring temperatures, house power usage, sunrise and sunset times, motion sensors etc. And using node-red / mqtt to trigger my smart plugs as required. Nothing too fancy.
I’m an old guy, and my brain fills up easily these days.:rofl:
But I can definitely confirm the hs100 and hs110 plugs work pretty well with node red.
Good luck with your orchids.
They are beautiful plants.
GB

1 Like

Thank you. A hug

I don’t use Node-red nor the tapo plugs however if the node-red side hasn’t been updated in several years this may well be of interest to you.

The later hs-110 encryption differs slightly to the earlier hs-110’s, depending on how the node-red code was implemented this might be the issue. See this discussion about changes made to a hs-110 python script. The only difference between a hs100 and hs110 is the energy monitoring.

As predicted: bought me three hs110 plugs and they work with the node-red-contrib-tplink node just fine. I sure somebody smarter than me comes up with a “node-red-contrib-tapo” node some day, so I’ll use the other ones I bought :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Great news!
Have fun!

GB