Conflicting thermostats - Ecodan Heatpump

It does if you use room temp/auto adaption control. My wired controller doesn’t get used for temperature, the two wireless remote controllers for each zone set the temperature and timing of setback etc.

(Yes, I know my system is near the bottom of the league but that’s because the buffer tank plumbing is wrong - hopefully corrected this weekend)

I know if you are on this forum, by definition you probably have some tech interest but expecting installers (who won’t have the time) and end users (my 80 year old parents for example) to endlessly tweak with weather compensation curves which don’t take into account solar gain, wind chill etc. isn’t a sustainable way of getting to a crucial mass of heat pump installations.

2 Likes

So I suppose that calls back to my original question of what the UFH thermostats actually do, in relation to operation of the heatpump. That is, if I program the UFH thermostats to, say, 16deg, when the flow temperature is keeping the house at 20deg - what is actually going to happen?

Weather compensation on the heat pump is determining the flow temperature, whereas the UFH thermostats are regulating how much of that heat is going into the floor. This will either be in the form of a valve that restricts flow, or it will be a “call for heat” to the heat pump. Do you know which type of thermostats you have? Are they wired into the heat pump, or completely independent?

The thermostat set to a cooler temperature should tell the heat pump (directly or indirectly) that heat is no longer required, and the heat pump will turn off until it is needed again.

1 Like

A couple of observations after setting the compensation values to 45deg@-3 after running for about 8 hours.

• 45deg@-3 was not sufficient to raise the room temperature above 16deg
  • Flow temperature graphs were quite erratic compared to 50deg@0 (the installed setting) - is this “cycling”?

I’m going to set it to 45@0 and try that for a while. This weekend I will setup the emoncms monitoring app, but there’s a bit of a component shortage so might have to “borrow” the CT from the solar for the timebeing.

Interesting, and that graph of stable operation at 50C looks much better than what you see after changing the settings.

What is your underfloor heating build up on the ground and 1st floor? Could you tell us any of the following?

• pipe diameter
  • pipe spacing
  • screed type and thickness
  • insulation levels under the screed
  • floor covering

Are you able to find the design details from the installer/contractor for these? e.g estimated room heat loss values and expected W/m2 from the underfloor heating in the rooms?

Good idea, it would be interesting to see at which point it stabilises.

Indeed, but the installers could at least program in the numbers from their own firm’s heat loss calculations and system design. Those whacking in a high fixed flow and multiple on/off thermostats should be weeded out.

1 Like

I think there’s insufficient data to distinguish cycling from defrosting from the UFH thermostat sending on off signals.