Configure EmonTx on 1Phase after 3Phase set

HI,

My title is not so much clear so I will explain more here :
I will configure my EmonTx to work with 3Phase, using arduino IDE to upload the program.
My question is : is it possible to get back to the first settings after doing that ? If it does’nt work or if I want to use my EmonTx just for 1Phase ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Don’t hesitate to ask me some questions because I don’t know if I’m really clear.

Bye

Welcome, Antoine, to the OEM forum.

Yes, it is very easy. You download the sketch you want to use from Github, and you upload that to your emonTx, in exactly the same way that you uploaded the 3-phase sketch.

But, I do not know which sketch was in your emonTx. On 18 October, it was announced that EmonTxV3 Continuous Monitoring Firmware (v1.0-beta) became the default.

Before that date, the default was https://github.com/openenergymonitor/emontx3/tree/master/firmware/src
It is very likely that this is the one you had.

Thank you very much for your answer !
Is it simple to upload the program with arduino ?
I see 3 prog.ino on the src files, I just have to connect the EmonTX to usb and upload the config.ino ?
Thank again, it’s really helpful !

It is simple when you have correctly installed the Arduino IDE and the libraries. Instructions are here: Learn→Electricity Monitoring→Using the Arduino IDE

It is VERY confusing now because every sketch available in Github is called “src.ino” (I do not know why) and the sketch and all the necessary files are in a directory called “src”. The real name is one directory above this. You must copy the correct directory, and all the files in it, and that becomes your “Sketch Folder” in the Arduino IDE. For you, I think that will be the last one in my post - emontx3/firmware/src at master · openenergymonitor/emontx3 · GitHub

I’m not positive, but IIRC, that nonsense started with PlatformIO.

I had realised when, it doesn’t answer why. I’ve never before come across any IDE, compiler or linker that specifies that the principal file must have a fixed name that is the same for every application. The file extension, yes; the file name, never.

It sure confuses the hell out of me when I’ve got maybe 6 or 8 or more editor windows open, all called “src.ino”. I can’t believe the stupidity of that idea.

Amen, Brother. AMEN!

I don’t think it is a requirement of PlatformIO, take the new CM firmware for instance GitHub - openenergymonitor/EmonTxV3CM: EmonTxV3 Continuous Monitoring Firmware (Default shipped EmonTxV3 firmware)

And it’s more complicated for a new user…

Didn’t mean to imply that.
Just that I recall - as did Robert - when it started.

1 Like

Thank you so much to every one for your help !
Now I think I have all I need to start !

I got the impression it was, but as platformio turned out to be unusable given the way I work, I could never use it.

I hadn’t even got around to looking…
So why then was everything renamed to the same name?

You have my sympathy. I did try to give you accurate details about what you need, but if you are confused, please do ask again.

Thanks a lot,
I have another question.
I connect my EmonESP on my wifi network at work, but now I need to change my system place.
But first problem : the direct wifi access point is disable.
Second problem : I can’t change the wifi access point selected on the configuration page…

Thanks a lot for your help !

Try this. It came from a thread about the emonEVSE, which I think also uses the ESP8266:

“To reset the WiFi module to disconnect it from you local network and put it into AP mode again hold down boot / GPIO0 button on the ESP8266 module for about 5s will force WiFi access point mode.”

1 Like

Oh ok, I try this on the emontx ! Yes… i’m an idiot --’
Thanks a lot !!!

1 Like

I don’t believe that for one minute. Of course you are not an idiot, you just did not know for how long you must hold the button down.

1 Like

You’re really nice !
Thanks again

2 Likes