A taste of things to come? - UK smart meter data access

My understanding of how things work is that the GlowStick intercepts the consumption data that is sent by mobile phone signal to the ‘central authority’ that then sends this data to yr supplier who bills you.
Hildebrand is authorised to do this by the ‘central authority’ but only with yr permission - hence the request for yr MPAN.

Since I heard of Hildebrand for the first time, I thought their sticks (one for SMETS1 and another for SMETS2) are the only ones authorised to use Zigbee connection directly to smart meters, meaning there is no “middle man”, or as you call it “central authority”?

@Lucas_Ch

Is it a matter of semantics?
The following link is informative …

The ‘central authority’ I referred to is the Data and Communications Company (DCC)

And if Hildebrand is the only company authorised to intercept smart meter data then their GlowStick is a uniquely valuable product.

Which does beg the question - how do the many different types of In Home Displays work?

@johnbanks
But the difference is huge.
They way I understand it, GlowStick from Hildebrand connects directly to smart meter HAN zigbee network, same way as IHD does. Meaning, that when you put kettle on, IHD display goes to “red” within 2 seconds (so basically shows real time electricity consumption). And if GlowStick is connected the same way, it will also send consumption data in real time (to their Bright app, not DCC).
But when you work through “central authority”, the minimum time you can get up-to-date data is 30 minutes.
And don’t get me wrong, I think device is great.

@DanielKenning

And whilst you’re waiting for yr son to succeed with the Python project, you’ll be able to use Hildebrand’s Bright App on yr mobile phone which is very informative.

@Lucas_Ch

You are correct - the GlowStick immediately responds when you put the kettle on (using yr example).

Apologies if my earlier post could be interpreted as suggesting GlowStick got it’s data from DCC.
I was just trying to emphasise that the GlowStick minute by minute data is revenue grade - the same data that when accumulated into 30 min chunks eventually results in yr monthly bill from yr suppllier.

@johnbanks
Yes, at first that was my interpretation. Sorry if I read it wrong.

Question for you though… GlowStick allows you (well, Hildebrand allows you) to set MQTT. But where? Can you set MQTT server locally, i.e. Raspberry Pi? My guess is no, they set it up on their end?

And if Hildebrand is the only company authorised to intercept smart meter data then their GlowStick is a uniquely valuable product.

Well, n3rgy does the same (intercepts data), just without the stick. :wink: And yes again, definitely a valuable product.

@Lucas_Ch

Yr question - "Can you set MQTT server locally, i.e. Raspberry Pi? "
My answer - Pls see my earlier very long post. I’m getting the data into my Raspberry Pi. The data does come from Hildebrand as I understand it. So, I guess, if Hildebrand no longer existed then there would be no data - very much a guess on my part. It does not keep me awake at night tho’.

I have no knowledge of n3rgy.
Is their data capable of being captured by a Raspberry Pi?
Is it electricity supplier agnostic?
Does it rely long term on n3rgy continuing to exist?
I would like to know more about n3rgy.

@johnbanks
I am no programmer, but from the code in your post, it looks like communication seems to be over the internet (between GlowStick → Hildebrand servers → emon software installed on Raspberry Pi, hence certificate requirements), so technically, if Hildebrand gone bust, you would no longer be able to monitor you data.

I have no knowledge of n3rgy.
Is their data capable of being captured by a Raspberry Pi?

Any device really, where you can run software to capture data

Does it rely long term on n3rgy continuing to exist?

Yes, same as Hildebrand in my opinion.

But the minimum data rate here is 30mins.

Where did you get emon software from? Or more precisely… who gave you instructions how to install it/set it up?

Has anyone tried signing up to the free Hildebrand smart meter data service (data coming over metering system rather than via CAD):

https://glowmarkt.com/

I tried to get it working yesterday but it errored out for me.

@beaylott
Their Bright App works well but I THINK it relies on having a GlowStick installed.
You could always pose the question to their Support team.

@Lucas_Ch
Re:

Where did you get emon software from? Or more precisely… who gave you instructions how to install it/set it up?

As my script states, it is built around code from ndfred, a contributor to the Glowmarkt forum:

# With due acknowledgement to ndfred - a contributor to the Glowmarkt forum
# https://gist.github.com/ndfred/b373eeafc4f5b0870c1b8857041289a9

In crude terms that copy & paste got the data published to MQTT. I then added my code around that to get the data into emon. I’m no programmer - it took many hours of learning in lockdown time.

The problem of Certification was solved via an email exchange with Hildebrand support.

@beaylott

Has anyone tried signing up to the free Hildebrand smart meter data service (data coming over metering system rather than via CAD):

https://glowmarkt.com/

I tried to get it working yesterday but it errored out for me.

I didn’t sign up. But I am very cautious when something says “FREE Try now” with a star, with no reference to it. :smiley: Probably I am too cautious.
What error did you get? I only tried putting my MPAN to check if I am eligible and I am. I have SMETS1 meter.
@johnbanks

Their Bright App works well but I THINK it relies on having a GlowStick installed.

It seems like you need GlowStick to use an app, but you can still get data without stick and app, but at slower rate (30mins). That’s my understanding.

In crude terms that copy & paste got the data published to MQTT.

The reason I asked, I found this info, where (somehow) Hildebrand can create MQTT access. If that was local (i.e Raspberry Pi) it would be 100% perfect solution (for me, anyway).

I am waiting for a Glowstick from Hildebrand, and the helpdesk there said I can install Bright anyway, and get the data on my phone. I installed Bright a couple of days ago, it says it’s “getting your app up and running” and promises I will be able to see my SMETS2 data in a day or two… all with no need to get permission form the electricity supplier (Good Energy).

@DanielKenning
Thx for that clarification.

all with no need to get permission form the
electricity supplier (Good Energy).

It’s not their data to give permission. It is you, who give permission, as far as I know. That’s why you have to give permission to anybody who will read your data (Hildebrand, n3rgy, etc).

1 Like

@Lucas_Ch

Re 30 min data - in my opinion, that’s of limited use.

Re Point 4 that you highlighted in yr post - that’s exactly what I did.
Hildebrand publishes yr data to MQTT and you are authorised to access it.
But Hildebrand does not provide the MEANS to access the data.

I do that using my script (which relies heavily on the work of nfred, a contributor to the Glowmarkt forum)

Very good point Lucas, which doesn’t seem to motivate the suppliers much in discharging their responsibility to facilitate access to it. Thank you for the reminder!

I hear a rumour that Good might be starting a CAD trial soon… :shushing_face:

I’m not sure what you mean by this statement? But certainly it seems that the data from your meter is sent by the glowstick to Hildebrand, under the name of energyhive.com, and that is where your script connects to

client.connect("glowmqtt.energyhive.com")

in order to access the data originally from your meter.

I’d be interested to know if you can see your data before the Glowstick arrives.