WVC inverter MQTT Data logging for all versions of inverters

hi there for anyone who may want a data logging script for all WVC micro GTI with serial wireless connection it works with WVC295, WVC300, WVC350, WVC600, WVC850 and the WVC1200 ( i suspect the WVC1400 you just need to use the WVC1200 as the identifier)

it can be found at: GitHub - krywenko/WVC-inverters

it designed to work with my version energy monitor but you can adapted to emoncms or other energy monitor- just edit internal mqtt to match your required formats

terminal window output looks like this:

Inverter Type WVC1200
Inverter ID c784
Temp 17
VAC 108.527
AAC 0.185
VDC 32.08
ADC 0.6666
Panel Efficiency .93
AC watts 20.07
DC watts 21.38
Overall Efficiency .93 # the overall efficiency of the panel grouping

cloudy and snowy day so the panels and inverter not outputting very much

2 Likes

How do you connect a serial connection to those inverters ?

thanks for sharing @stephen

they are mirco grid ties in the panel themselves you get a small serial modem that you connect to computer/pi that talks wireless in the 450mhz range to all the inverters I believe each modem can talk to about a hundred different inverters…
you can buy them on amazon for 300ish for the wvc 1200 and 150 for the modem or buy them directly from the manufacture outlet for 150 for the wvc 1200 and 50 for the modem

Perfect! That is what I was looking for, however I don’t have the modem. Can I talk using an Arduino and a wifi module?

Welcome, Thales, to the OEM forum.

Please try not to post nearly the same question on two threads. It will split the replies between the two and confuse everybody. It would be much better if you asked in one place “Can it talk using an Arduino and Wi-Fi module, or has anyone tried using the HC-12 Wireless module?”

sorry never tried personally so I would not know for sure - but Chinese manufactures tend to use off the self so I would think there a good probability it should — freq 433/462MHz

My WVC 700 arrived and my HC 12 as well.
To check the communication, I must brute force test every channel and baudrate.

What do you suggest about message and baudrate. Is there a message such as request ID?

the channel I believe are 433/462 and baud of 9600 –
just try the F2 command – real time response

Xfb,x05,x11,x84 is the dummy modem (fb051184) to respond too
x__ and x-- is your inverter ID on the back of your inverter

echo $’\xf2\xfb\x05\x11\x84\x__\x–\x65’ > /dev/ttys1 ( or what ever your serial port is )

if you send that it should have a reply of some form I would think

important to remember the inverter only response if it outputs power… so either hook it to a solar panel or a small dc power source say in 20 w ranged

Thanks! I will use a DC power source for that. It will help to know DC values. I’m trying to reach technical team from WVC, but they don’t answer. Do you know if I can connect it phase-phase or this is only single-phase inverter?

Inverter ID is an 8 character. I suppose it \x__\x-- are only the last four, correct?

humm your inverter has 8 characters on my inverters they have only 4 characters – it on a sticker on the front face near the bottom - on the bottom line of the sticker is reads something like ID - 5b98 and above that on the same sticker is a QR code and then model and voltage type – it is about 2cm X 2cm sticker

humm I am wondering perhaps you can run the software for the wvc modem all need to do I believe in write a code to pass back a modem identifier when requested modem test is requested…

xf8\x—\x----\x—\x----\xff\xff\x6b ( — being 2 character of the 8 character dummy modem )
it returns the same response and null if it does not exist
KDMSetupN4.5.zip (7.2 MB)

This is a picture of my inverter.

There is no QR Code, but a code bar. ID starts with digit 4000 and than xxxx. KDM doesn’t accept this ID. I’m trying to reach the seller. I’ve checked the database inside the installation folder and there is no WVC-700 there. My version is WVC-700R3.

okay I looked through it still seams to be the same modem ( thought they do not show the inverter and modem together)
try communicating with this seller and ask if it compatible with the original wvc modem or it requires a different modem ( give him a song and dance that have this modem that you use with other WVC inverters ie 1200 and 600)… when I check out seller of WVC inverter and modem the modem is about $50… seller of these versions sell the modem for $100 US… which to me suggest it might be a slightly different modem… think it is most likely this one

but try the f2 command with both the 8bit and the 4bit ending with the end bit of x65 hopefully one of them gives you a reply and hopefully it still works with the table you would used the 600 for 700 and 1200 for 1400 if it replies back

if he says it works with the same modem maybe ask for a copy of software…

I am pretty sure they never switched up protocols that much one probably would need your inverter and modem and sniff what happen and how/when to get a better sense

edit:
I asked for you this seller I will let you know when or if they reply back usually it should be by tomorrow

Hello Stephen, I really appreciate.

I’ve reached my seller which told me that the modem is different (the link you send is correct). Really expensive! I’ve asked for the software but they don’t want to send to me. I got the manual for the new modem. The software is now embedded inside the modem. Probably the protocol is really the same,

I will try the \xf2, however, I’m not sure about my ID yet: (40000168)
\xf2\xfb\x05\x11\x84\x4000\x0168\x65 ???
Not sure if ID is DEC or HEX. Any suggestions?

thank you Anson Guo for your reply. currently one question if I have the older version wvc inverters wvc300, wvc600 or the wvc1200 is it compatible with the newer modem?

i think it is \xf2\xfb\x05\x11\x84\x40\x00\x01\x68\x65
or
\xf2\xfb\x05\x11\x84\x01\x68\x65

but from what gather from anson original post it prefixed the older series with 2000,4000 and 6000. it probably tells their modem what table to use ( if the older inverters are compatible with the newer modem)
so this would be the most probable –

\xf2\xfb\x05\x11\x84\x01\x68\x65 - curious is your inverter ID still dec based of hex based as it one years into production so it should have some hex by now

Hello Anson Guo, I’m glad you’ve joined our discussion.
I can tell you my individual and honest opinion. I bought WVC because I saw a lot of videos regarding WVC, like fixing problems, inside componentes and mainly because of our topic. I mean, APsystem uses zigbee, why not choose an inverter that has 25 year warranty. Because we want to know, we want to build, we want to do our own way.

I’m not comfortable to buy a modem that is almost the price of the inverter just because I don’t know the protocol. In other words, if you found this topic you may know that people here already have a raspberry working with emoncms and nodered.

The way I see is more or less like an IP camera. There are a lot of Chinese brands of ip camera’s that use V380 app. It just don’t work for everyone. Myself included. To solve that problem, they started to distribute a patch, for the ones who ask, in which you can free your camera. They’ve noticed that they were loosing potential professional clients.

I just have two panels at the moment, but I’m intending to grow it. Thus, I need to monitor the micro inverter to check if it is suitable. Besides that, last time I’ve imported a WiFi device, my local custom sent it back. There is another potential risk there and why I’m avoiding it.

I will try and report latter. I also noticed that they’ve reduced modem ID size to 4-characters.

to help you out a bit I ordered a hc-12 and a usb serial to connect to it… I will sniff my 433 packet stream and see what happening on my current device and if it works fine and I can bridge between my current inverters and the HC-12… I will let you know… – then perhaps someone who has a wvc 700 and modem might be kind enough to upload a small data capture between the devices ( 10 - 20 data sends and receives would be fine ) and what the outputs were in that corresponding time period ( ie dc volt/amp/ ac volt/amp and temp) and I see if I can decipher the rest (also I need their modem ID and inverter id)

I’ve been testing, with trial and error. I couldn’t get any response, however, I can see that the inverter is trying to communicate.

Normally, during transmit rate the current drain is higher. Since I’m testing in a bench, I notice that it is trying to send something that I’m not able to catch.

Results:

AT+FU2 - Any output gets a beep from the inverter.
AT+FU3 - It tries to transmit (Maybe I’m getting null) for 9600 and 4800 baudrate
AT+FU1 - Nothing.

@stephen Can you open your modem. We can see if serial is going straight to HC12 or if there is something in between.

@Anson_Guo for R2, last byte is just an ending or has some CRC? Is possiblem to communicate for R2 using a HC12?

EDIT: I found a problem in my test. I’m using a console terminal. The results are only printed over char. I will write a python program now.