Wifi Meter plugs out of the box (Z-WAVE or others)

Any one already experimented with this out of the box energy meter wifi plugs?
Could we customize the firmware to work with emoncms?

Take a look:

Have you looked at the TP-Link HS110 smartplugs?

I bought a couple of these tail end of last year (thanks to @borpin for the heads up) and have a draft python script that will query the power data over the LAN WiFi, the script currently returns voltage, current, power, energy, relay state and WiFi signal strength with a timestamp every 5secs.

I am also able to enable/disable the relay too.

The api will allow management of a scheduler and give access to daily weekly and monthly energy totals but for now I intend to do that stuff external to the device and just use the low level data/api’s. I can however see the benefit of perhaps setting the scheduler for known events in the not to distent future as that gives the device a level of autonomy in case of network issues or something at the control source incorrectly delaying/preventing a timed start or stop.

What I’ve explored is totally external to the device, I have not looked into hacking the firmware at all as this device isn’t dependent on a n external website for LAN use via the api, which I consider to be a big plus.

Here’s a teardown I found on the web, perhaps you would know more about whether it’s “hackable” by the components used.

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4458082/Teardown--A-Wi-Fi-smart-plug-for-home-automation

Although, looking at the api’s it is easy to set to target server details via an api call so I would imagine if we could write a web application (we have all the api doc’s to reverse engineer one) there would be no real hacking needed.

See the “cloud commands” section at Reverse Engineering the TP-Link HS110 | softScheck

I have several other links of interest if you want to know more.

That is nice, i’d rather prefer some hardware that uses a known chipset like the ESP8266.
But unfortunately both use a chipset that i’m not familiar with:

Look at Sonoff then. The POW measures power but has to be wired in. I wired one into a short extension lead :smile: There is a Tasmota firmware on Github that is really good (IMHO).

Unfortunately the plug in type do not measure power.

I know that, but not keen to having to add a cable.
Oh well, waiting for a plug in version of Sonoff POW :slight_smile:

1 Like

My enthusiasm waned for these when I could not set a fixed IP on setup and had to register with their cloud service.

The SoftsCheck review makes you realise how utterly insecure these devices actually are. I really do need to look at this plug again.

Did you try the Node-RED module?