Which firmware file for update EVSE ESP Gateway Etherent module

I have the emonEVSE charge station still on FW 4.1.0 which came with it.
I see that 4.1.6 is out Release V4.1.6 · OpenEVSE/ESP32_WiFi_V4.x · GitHub but no idea which bin file is for me.
Can someone pls assist

Can you toggle ‘advanced’ display tab to view the WiFi hardware type info on the main OpenEVSE tab:

Unless you have Ethernet option, you will almost certainly have OpenEVSE WiFi V1, so you should upload V4.1.6 openevse_wifi_v1.bin

That view is with advanced enabled and yes I do have the ethernet version but only using wifi for now.
Which of the files is it for the ethernet one?
@jeremypoulter any ideas?

You need to look at the hardware version on your board …
‘f’’ works with F & G

Correct

If you’re running older FW than V4.1.5 then OTA update is not supported on espgatewaygateway, you;'ll need to update via USB using esptool, see: openevse_esp32_firmware/docs/wired-ethernet.md at master · OpenEVSE/openevse_esp32_firmware · GitHub

So basically no way to update it without taking the whole thing apart?

If you’re running older FW than V4.1.5 then Wifi OTA update is not supported on esp-gateway.

If you’re running V4.1.5 or newer you can OTA update over WiFi, but you need to know what hardware revision you have.

Ok so what is needed for the update, to connect the board to my computer, a usb to uart adapter or similar?

You’ll need to use esptool

If you prefer to send the unit back to us, we would be happy to update it for you for free, just cover the cost of postage. If you want to do this, please drop support an email: Contact

Yes I am familiar, been using esphome for some time, flashed many esp8266/32s.
I don’t recall if the module inside the emonevse has a micro usb port on it, been installed a while ago or just need to connecting using the wires/pins?

@glyn.hudson I would like to update my 4.1.0 ethernet module and can you pls confirm if this device will do the trick: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CYBHM26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And I need to power the ethernet board from 5v not from 3.3v correct?

Any USB TTL adapter will work.
If you wire it to the serial pins, you can power the Ethernet board with 5v yes. You can also use 3.3v anyway.

The ESP gateway Ethernet module can be updated using a micro USB cable no adaptor required. However, it’s important to choose the correct firmware file. What hardware revision is your module?

From version 4.1.5 onwards, OTA update via the web browser is supported on the ESP gateway. Since your running older FW you’ll need to update manually, see: ESP32_WiFi_V4.x/wired-ethernet.md at master · OpenEVSE/ESP32_WiFi_V4.x · GitHub

All done, I have the G revision so I have updated to the latest version of the v2 gui using the micro usb.
From now on I won’t have to take out the module from the charger and update via usb right? I sould be able to update the FW from the gui correct?

Nice work :+1:

Yes, that’s correct. Subsequent updates can be done via the UI

1 Like