What shall we call our sites?

Eric:
In English, that is a Shopping Trolly.
In American, it is a Shopping Cart.

FTFY :innocent: :innocent:

and still caddy is not wrong :wink:

http://shoppingcartcaddy.com

The “caddy” the web page speaks of isn’t actually the cart itself, but an accessory that fits on the cart handle.
So, strictly speaking, caddy isn’t quite right…

But you’re right about the symbol’s meaning. No guessing needed there.

Jon,

I’ve got to go with RW on this one. As was pointed out to me, they speak English. The mangled mess we speak (you and I) is American.

You guys really have too much free time!!

Paul

I think the votes are in!

71% think that the ‘forum’ should be called ‘Forum’, whilst…
22% think it should be called ‘Community’

Paul

1 Like

But 14 voters is hardly representative. On that basis, the rest plus seven don’t give a monkey’s. Or is it that the ones that didn’t vote couldn’t find it because it is called “Community”? Now there’s a thought.

Although the poll was closed off at 14 votes, I had assumed that the heavy lean towards “forum” had been considered significant enough to demonstrate the preference of the community and the change to “forum” was imminent.

1 Like

The ‘store - shop’ name-change was made with the same number of votes…

I think we’re going to go with the half way house ‘Community Forum’. I’m afraid the ‘community’ URL is now set in stone. I still really like the warm fuzzy connotations of ‘community’. I think there is benefit if calling the new forum the ‘Community Forum’ which creates differentiation from the old ‘Forum’.

At the end of the day the name doesn’t really matter. It’s how we use it that counts!

At the risk of proving unpopular…
‘Why ask the community to vote, if you’re not going to follow it’s consensus’
The ‘community forum’ got just 7% of the votes, whilst ‘forum’ got 10x as many!

Paul

1 Like

It would also be quite a contradictory term now and consequently not so “warm and fuzzy”.

The main concern is the navigation not so much the url, nobody will be typing out the url each time, but spotting a “forum” link when hunting for the forum is important.

The words at the top of the forum pages are equally less important, you can call it anything at all once users find it. “Community forum” at the head of the forum pages and “forum” in all the links and nav bars everywhere else would be both functional and fuzzy :grinning:

If the users can’t find it, it matters.

I agree with Paul

“Community” is used by other sites (see Microsoft and Apple) so there is a precedent. Opening it up for a vote might have been a mistake (and a lesson learnt), but if @glyn.hudson feels the outcome is not right, then I can understand not changing it.

Forgive me if it sounds silly, but doesn’t [quote=“pb66, post:33, topic:549”]
spotting a “forum” link when hunting for the forum is important.
[/quote]
come before

because if the visitor can’t easily spot the link, everything that might otherwise follow is irrelevant.

1 Like

Disappointing, but at the end of the day G & T must make decisive decisions about the direction of openenerymonitor, because it’s what their livelihood depends upon.
If it goes against the advise of others and fails, then so be it.
If I felt strongly about an issue, I’d have done the same.

IMO @Gwil 's post probably is a fair summary, ‘shouldn’t of asked, if you don’t want the answer!’

Paul

I have to admit I have been out voted on this one. We will use ‘Forum’ when we refer links to this site from our other sites. I have updated the OEM homepage.

I find it hard to believe that a user would totally fail to find the forum if we called it ‘community’. As @Gwil mentioned many high profile sites are now using ‘community’ rather than forum. I believe much of this change of name is due to the negative connotations attached to ‘forums’ of the past e.g. old clunky php and vbulletin boards and overly corporate single dimension ‘support forums’. I like to think our new ‘forum’ is something more and deserves an updated title.

We will keep the URL and the site title as ‘Community Forum’